Let's See Some Trout Jigs

quivira kid

LedHead, I love those little bitty ones! What weight and what size hook? Those look like the type of head I search out for vertical jigging.... they fish heavy for their size.

fisherb

Small stream trout fishing is my favorite type of fishing here in AZ. I either use a 1/64 on a #8 sickle or a 1/100 on a #12 aberdeen. Neither one are heavy enough to cast by themselves, but I prefer to bobber fish anyways so I don't mind. Here's a 1/64 and the weighted float I use. 1'-3' deep usually, and if the fish are really picky tip with a mealworm. Link to weighted floats from cabelas. They are 3/4" around. I use a 5' ultralight ugly stik, drift through a pool, this is the only way I fish small streams for trout anymore.

photo1qoq.jpg

SaltyBuckster

That's the way that I used to fish them in Az also.Try a clear bobber for some reason you will catch twice as many fish.Nice set up there.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Does floating a lighter jig work better than straight lining a heavier jig? A castable 1/32 #8 has a similar appearance to a 1/64 #8.

SaltyBuckster

With the faster water in a small stream the lighter jigs are down stream of the bobber looking like they are trying to swim upsteam.Where as a 1/32 oz. would just go right to the bottom if straight lined.

fisherb

SaltyBuckster said:
That's the way that I used to fish them in Az also.Try a clear bobber for some reason you will catch twice as many fish.Nice set up there.

Just had to take my 4 year old to my in-laws, so I stopped by Sportsmans. I found THESE FLOATS rainbow plastics tough bubble. They are about 3/4" around or so, so should be small enough. I'll give them a try next weekend at Canyon Creek.

SaltyBuckster

fisherb said:
SaltyBuckster said:

Just had to take my 4 year old to my in-laws, so I stopped by Sportsmans. I found THESE FLOATS rainbow plastics tough bubble. They are about 3/4" around or so, so should be small enough. I'll give them a try next weekend at Canyon Creek.
Those are the exact floats that I was talking about.Also work wonders on a threaded minnow with some tiny split shot about a foot up.

fisherb

SaltyBuckster said:
fisherb said:
SaltyBuckster said:

Those are the exact floats that I was talking about.Also work wonders on a threaded minnow with some tiny split shot about a foot up.

I plan to try some of those thread body jigs next week. How did you rig these floats?

SaltyBuckster

fisherb said:
SaltyBuckster said:
fisherb said:
SaltyBuckster said:

I plan to try some of those thread body jigs next week. How did you rig these floats?
You will have to play with around with them for a while.They worked the best with a tiny lead sinker squeezed very tightly inside the end of the bobber on your line.With at least 2' of line sticking out the end of it.

LedHed

Sponsor
Sorry guys was off line for a few days.
Fm yes some are on #12s
qk - mix of 1/80ths & 1/100ths with size #12s & 10s on the hooks
thnx sh

fisherb

Here's a 1/100 #12 next to a 1/64 for comparison. I do better on stream trout with the smaller jig, more hook-ups per hit. With the 1/64 I get lots of hits but land far fewer. Whereas when we bluegill/crappie/perch fish up in northern AZ I use the 1/64 exclusively.

photo1ys.jpg

Back