Let's See Some "Baby Bass"

SaltyBuckster

I had a few of these olive and white painted Rondon Ultra Minnows sitting around.After looking at them they reall started looking like baby bass.These two are 1/12 oz. one with a size 4 sickle and the other with a size 6.Do you guys think the straight line or the dots works best on the lateral line?Going to tie them in marabou.For a crappie bait.I have to fget a new camera,I believe.Can't get it to focus correctly.

Shoemoo

Are you using macro mode? Macro mode is for taking close up pictures of small objects. Newer, smarter cameras will automatically go into macro mode when you focus on the subject, but on older cameras you usually need to select it from a menu or button/control dial.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Bruce - post up what type and model number your camera is so we know what we are dealing with...... we'll have you snapping pictures for the cover of Vouge in no time. Vouge does a fishing issue.... right?

SaltyBuckster

It's a "Sony Cyber-shot" 7.2 pixel,3X Zoom,High sensitivity iso 1000,Model# is DSC-S650.I have it on the macro mode,it acts like it is doing something to focus but comes out fuzzy looking.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
^ What he said. ^ That is a fancy camera and should take good pics with out changing any factory settings. At 7.2 MP you have more than twice the quality that my camera has. Couple of other general things:

- Make sure the Macro setting is on. :p

- Looks like you have the flash on...... turn it off and just turn on some xtra-light or (better yet) take it outside.

- Use a background with a matte finish, not the glossy table you used in that photo. Glossy picks up glare and also messes with the auto-focus feature if it is very reflective. A piece of concrete or UN-finished wood works great. Paper works as well but plain white can be tricky to get light colored details to show.

- Steady the camera. If you don't have a mini tri-pod, stack up some books or rest your hand against something to keep it steady when you push the button.

- Push the button halfway down (as Happy explained above) and watch the LCD screen.... if it looks out of focus there, let up on the button and move the camera back just a little or use a slightly different angle.

SaltyBuckster

Yes,I am.Holding the camera steady against something,also.Don't get it.The little blue macro light comes on and it acts like it is focussing.

SaltyBuckster

Tried again.Still fuzzy.I'm glad that you guys have unlimited pics,Ha.Looks like this could take a while.

Attachments

• DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 77

SaltyBuckster

These are the best pics that I could get.I'll stick to 1/8 oz. or bigger for taking pics,lol.

Attachments

• DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 74

Fatman

If any of you have the older Baby Bass Green from ProTech hang onto it tight!!!!! There's just a darker colored green now - they're supposed to be changed the color chart.

quivira kid

I pulled this from the archives for ya, Bruce. I even picked a blurry one so you could do a side by side comparison!

30_505267703083_77201780_30213988_5722_n.jpg

Shoemoo

Good macro shots depend on two things... Lots of light and keeping the camera steady. Since the camera is focused on something so close, less light enters through the lens. The shutter has to stay open longer to gather enough light for a good picture. More environmental light = less shutter time = better shots. Even if you're bracing the camera against something, it still might be moving enough to ruin the picture. Try putting the camera on a stand and using the timer delay function.

Cameras also have a minimum focusing distance. The minimum focus distance for that model is 2". If the lens is closer than that, it won't focus.

Fatman

That's one thing I don't have a tripod!!!!! Have to check and see if the flea market has started maybe I can get one there cheap!!!

Shoemoo

You don't really need a tripod, just something to sit the camera on so it stays pointed at the target. A stack of books might work.

Anyway, last few times I've been out fishing I've seen a bunch of 2 and 3 inch largemouth swimming around in between the rocks in shallow water. Here's my first serious attempt at an imitation. I tied it with red thread and left the tag end long to simulate bleeding gills.

2012-05-05_16-38-24_990-1.jpg

Back