Lesson Learned

Kdog

I am stubborn, around 4:30 this AM unable to sleep was hobbling along the driveway hoping a walk would help.  Neighbor asked if I wanted to go fishing.. I said no, but be persevered and I finally agreed.  Got some cold weather gear and dressed for a morning on the lake, Grabbed my winter rods and winter tackle.  First obstacle  how to carry while on crutches.  Got it all together and made it to the waiting truck,  45 minutes I discovered the docks at the boat ramp are not ADA friendly.  But I made it and with 2 helpers got on the boat and into the big captains chair fishing seat. comfortable.  We motored out to one of our favorite spots.  Grabbed my rod. Still rigged from last year, checked hooks, checked leader all OK.  Jigging rap in the water.  settled to bottom, 6inch jerk and as it was falling, saw the line jump.  Quick hook set and fish on... another lesson, try fighting a fish without planting your feet.  Finally, got it to the top, 
netted and in the boat.  A nice 18 inch walleye, really fat.   Both buddies also got fish on. and I repeated within a few minutes.  fairly quick, 35 40 minutes we had 10 keepers of our 16 fish limit but the bite died.  Decided to try the rougher water area where this time of year fishing is usually good.

took a bit to get there, no hammering the throttle for speed thanks buds, I could not have taken much of that.  we got in line got to where we wanted to be.  From the other boats, fishing was slow,  decided to change color and got set up and dropped an odd colored rap. Almost like my first fish of the day.  Having learned a few tricks, was easier to get it in.  In boat quickly and big fish of the day almost 25". Buddies did not have my color and yes, help yourselves. While they were rerigging, I caught another. Nice fish.  They both were fishing and I got it netted and boated without assistance. I decided I needed some hot chocolate and said I was taking a break.  both had fish on and I knew we were in a hot spot. So got my line back in the water.  let the rap set on the bottom and fisnished my drink.  quick lift and fish actually grabbed on the rise. Bingo, fish on and after a bit, was boated.  Did a quick count 2 fish short and announced that they could each catch one more that I was packing up.  Shortly, they each had a fish and we called it a day.  on the water less than 3 hours, 18 walleye most were 18 to 21 inch, had a 23 and my 24 3/4.  Days like this are rare but fun.  but I really was getting sore between the boat motion and the cool breeze and cold water I was hurting,  Bot off the water and although  I thought the challenge was getting in the boat, getting off was much worse.  Finally in the truck headed home.  Fish all cleaned, Dont try filetting on crutches.  

I headed off to my house and wife reamed my you know what.  I handed her 2 bags of filletts and said fresh walleye for lunch. dropped my fishing clothes on the porch and made way to the couch and 2 OXY's.  Nice lunch, walleye, hushpuppies and greens. In a bit of a fog, still a bit sore but thinking about normal.  Time for a nap and watch the Bengals on their trek to a perfect season.

Lessons learned,  12 days post hip replacement do not go fishing. Even with good trustworthy friends its too much and too many things could go wrong.  I turned down the afternoon trip. It just dawned on me.  my rods are in the driveway, my tackle box is no where to be found....  Happy Fishing guys, I still have one of every color on the wall so I can make more.

Kdog

Hawnjigs said:
Betyah do the same thing if you had to do it over.

Not too sure.  4 OXYs and 4 Tylenol barely have be comfortable. Waiting 30minutes for next OXYs

Back