Legal Thievery

papaperch

Sooooooo I go to pay my property tax today to my local bank. Paid here for years. Teller informs me auditor of county has eliminated the banks from the grapevine for paying property tax. She informs me that now you can pay on line. So I diddy bop back home . Find the auditors site. Punch in all the info right up to the Confirm Payment button. 14 dollars and some odd change has been added to my bill. They call it a " convenience fee " . I immediately cancel payment. Affix stamp to SASE with check and tax stub inside and run it to post office.

This really aggravated me to the nth extreme. Guess now the government is taking lessons from the car dealers. You lease a car and they want to tack on an " acquisition  fee " then when the car is returned at end of lease a " disposition fee " is listed. Pays to read the fine print. I tell them if you want those fees I will not buy/lease vehicle . Leasing is a big enough rip as it is. Now they want to invent fees. Together they can total as much as 750-900 dollars.

By the way for all of you that read this . You all must mail me 13.59 :p . If it made you laugh in the slightest another 2.98. :D  Oh and I had to look up the correct spelling of convenience and acquisition. So I am tacking on a Senior Intelligence Remission Fee of 6.9 %. :trollin:

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I laughed twice..... think i have to pay in triplet? What website do i get on to submit my fees?

duffy

Fourteen Bucks?? Good grief! You wouldn't mind a buck but that's just robbery. Oh BTW I owe you about $20 but am taking back $23 because it made me angry. ;)

Pup

One of my favorite aliases for a surcharge is the 'internet processing fee'.  That stated, I refuse to pay it.  The notion that it costs more to process my transaction via the internet, versus in person, is ridiculous and insulting to my intelligence, period.

That is why I purchase a non-resident fishing license from a store in the state I'm visiting, rather than through a government site on the internet.

hookup

I get dinged for an 'internet processing fee' every year when I buy a fishing permit. Only a couple bucks, but still - they are taking people out of the equation & saving money by not paying them but charge?

toadfrog

Being a libertarian I'll get all those charges and prolly jail time if I vote. Papaperch I cai'nt count past 21 so here is an IOU.

Fin and Fur

Makes me wonder how you got to 21.....Must be a senior intelligence thing? You gotta an extra toe, or are you counting the other finger like appendage?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Always pay utilities and gov fees with an in person check. Chat with the young gals a bit - when you're my age they're ALL younger.

QPassage

14 bucks man I would have went full ballistic missile on them.  Last Fall I went to renew my truck plates.  Handed them my debit card.  She said there would be a $3 charge to use the card.  I said hang on, I'll just run to the bank and I'll be right back  $76 and some odd change later in loose pennies.  I think I proved my point but being a Gubment issue I'm sure nothing will change for this year.   :D

Fatman

Papa - Since you admitted you had to look up the spelling that constitutes a 6.9% reduction of the $13.59!! LOL

Q - You really want to mess them up - give them your debit card and tell them to charge it as CREDIT!!!! If you run it as a debit card, they can get up to a $1 fee for you using that and the other $3 fee. Change it to Credit and it COST"S them money as they have to pay a fee to the bank for using a charge card!!!

Back