LedHed check these out~~!! #2

JSC

Thought I Would Start Another Thread On This One.
ROAD RUNNER
I cannot find all the information to back me up 100% on this .. just what I have known about thru the years.
I have not checked out the Roadrunner Patented dates and etc. So I am just assuming a few things.

First one of these type lures that I saw packaged and carded to sell was at Big Springs Minnow Farm B&T Shop near Guntersville Alabama in the early 60's It was named a "Horse Head". It was skirted with "Crimped Nylon" and was with a good flare to it.

I knew I had seen a mold for it in the Ament Catalog .. I ordered one (cast Aluminum)(pix below .. note 2 cavities were modified when I had some other ideas for it) #321 -- 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 oz. (#486 was available in the 1980 Catalog 1/8, 1/16, & 1/32 oz) both in 1980 catalog were 5.00 --- Percision Single Cavity 16.00 each. I had one of the Percision molds 1/4oz in the early 60's most of them I cast were for Tom Mann (we traded out some stuff) I tied a few with Crimped Nylon and caught a few Bass on them but was nothing to get excited about .. wound up selling the mold to Tom M. and he modified it to make a in line spinner (weight forward) single hook, single spinner Rubber skirt and he named it ... get this "Road Runner" .. he never did a lot with it .. this was before the Blakemore "Road Runner" was known in our area ...

(60's - 70's) Now to the best of my knowledge Mr. Blakemore (either from MO or IN) made them and named them the "Road Runner" Sold them, as they say "Out of the back of his car", and he made trips thru this area once a year ... He had Blakemore Mfg & then he sold them from Blakemore Sales (in other words he sold them to himself before he sold them on the road ... tax dodge ???) ... Later on Hill/Hall bought him out and this is where I think the Patent might have been applied for .. this exact information I do not have .. later on the Campbell's - ,Tru Trn, bought him out ... So there is a big shadow in, my opinion, over claims I have read (like who "Invinted" it and then Patented it) ???? Can anyone shed more light on the subject ??? I wish I had all the dates and other back up material ... I also understand that the big 1 oz. model was used on the west coast trolling for Stripers ... I think a lot of these were also used with "Living Rubber" as well as Bucktail.

Further checking in a "Hilts" Catalog from the late 80's or early 90's Page 13 "Horse Head Jig Molds" has 8 models of molds from 1/32 oz to 2 oz. (the 1 1/2 & 2 oz. were new) Featured as a "Striper Killer" Best I could tell price was 19.99 at that time.
C. Palmer Catalot #SM89 .. Horse Head #575P 4 cavity 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16. and Pony Head #576P Four Cavity 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 oz both were 19.95 .. I am pretty sure that Herters had one as well (Herter had one of the mold makers to make it for them in their name)
Several of the other "Sales" companies carried these molds as well.

I have read the statment of when it was patented ... and from the history (as I make heads or tails of it) the design was out for many years before it was patented ...
Just my 2 cents worth on it and if some could back up/add to this information would appreciate it.
View attachment 6 View attachment 7

Attachments

• HHMold.jpg
    HHMold.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 154
  • moldnumber.jpg
    moldnumber.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 153

Shoemoo

Blakemore has a trademark, not a patent. The trademark was granted in 1990.

According to the link Pup posted in the first thread, they started manufacturing the RoadRunner in 1959.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Lot of great information JSC! A lot of it is shady to me. I still haven't seen anything recent where Blakemore is going after anyone. Ive seen some ppl make CLAIMS about it but nothing definitive.

JSC

"Blakemore has a trademark, not a patent. The trademark was granted in 1990.
According to the link Pup posted in the first thread, they started manufacturing the RoadRunner in 1959."
========================
A Question .. who is they in 1959 ? I am quite sure it is not the ones making it now .. This sounds like when Mr. Blaklemore may have started making it.

The Trademark, apparently, was made to TTI (or Hill/Hall) due to the date ..

I thought the only thing a trademark protected was the name ... why have they shut down some of the guys in the past ???

Still a lot blank spots ..

Thanx for additional information :)

hookup

I'm having de-sha-vu

Saw all this years ago on another board - company with the trademark jumped on & told a bunch of independents to cease & desist.

Have a buddy who's a patent attorney and he said if I ever want to patent something, talk to him first with a bottle of boubon. This is the way these things usually happen. Someone gets a good idea, but doesn't have the coin or a buddy to register & patent his idea. Someone else picks up the idea, has either a buddy or access to coin, and goes to the patent office.

JSC

It appears this is the "Protection"

"Road Runner lures are protected under the Configuration Trademark #1577913. (The Coke® bottle shape is a configuration trademark for example.) “Road Runner” is a registered trademark of TTI-Blakemore Fishing Group."

There is still (to me) a big shadow as to the period before Hall got the biz from Blakemore ... claims do not add up.

Enjoy the discussion .. Know more please chime in .. I am sure some one knows about the "Original BLAKEMORE ""

:huh:

Hawnjigs

KISS
Interesting that the article written by a Blakemore enforcer warns consumers about inferior quality counterfeits. Personally I have never and will never use an OEM Roadrunner because they continue to use old school light wire bronze hooks, apparently ignoring the evolution of fish hook quality since players like Gamakatsu, Owner, and Mustad(Ultra Point) raised the bar on strength and sharpness. Which the Blakemore pundit describes as "over-tempered".

The heavy wire hook versions horse heads customed by members GoodTimesFishing and Bucho are more appropriate for such an excellent multi-species design. Using the original RoadRunners for trophy applications is like chasing elk with a .22.

LedHed

Sponsor
Get out the bag of pop corn - this is going to be good.

WTG LPO - don't care what you charge for fishing - I'm buying from you guys!!!!!

Edgecrusher

I wonder if the fact they don't sell with the blade on, is the way they are getting around it?

JSC

I got the News letter as well and that was the first thing that jumped out at me.
LPO builds stuff for a lot of people .. don't know if there is some deal here or not.

???????

Back