Large shad jigs

dblevens

Caught some good crappie yesterday and noticed they'd been feeding on large gizzard shad.(3" long) got me to thinking about tying something like this. Any ideas?

ARjigger

I have seen some of the members tying wool that gives a shad type profile. Maybe one of the fella's will chine in soon with their shad type replica(s). I fish water in OK/AR and commonly clean crappie with shad in the belly the size you describe. I personally fish jigs rarely using live stuff. I use a jig tied with silicone or buck tail tails and a chenille body. My jigs are up to 3" in length but typically I settle in between 2 and 2.5". I tie stuff that mimics a shad color but rarely throw it. Go to colors for me are white/chartruese, orange/chartruese, black/pink etc. My findings support presentation over profile and color relative to water turbidity and/or feeding activity. What region are you in?

ARjigger

ARjigger

To give an idea of what I discussed see pic...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 91

Pup

Natural mallard flank feathers. Tie onto each side of the jig's collar. This is a basic float-n-fly tie for wintertime fishing. Though, should work at many other times too.

redhead004.jpg

ARjigger

Pup has many other nice shad type examples on his site...see his link at bottom of his post "Pups Jig Works".

dblevens

Thanks pup. I just happen to have some feathers laying around from duck season. Thats an awesome idea, and that jig looks good. ARjigger, I'm over in Greene Co. so when you find a spot with fish big enough to eat the shad we're talking about, you spend day and night trying to figure out how to catch em. lol

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
If you want the profile to be bigger, top to bottom, you can use bucktail as a wing material on top and bottom similar to the old Rock-a-roo style jigs. Something like this....

100_4592_e.jpg

The Arkansas Bucktail fly pattern is another that can be tied on jigs. I have some tied up, but can't seem to find the picture at the moment... all i can find is my fly versions. Check out the link above for the step-by-step instructions.

101_3061_e.jpg

Jigmaker0421

When I'm tyin shad I use craft hair it gives a great shape and retains its shape even when it gets wet. I usually use white and spice it up with some sharpie markers to match wherever I'm fishin

chill49

Try Polar Fibre it works better for me than craft fur it tapers real good.
In NW Ark gray or white always works are a combo of the two with mallard tied on each side.

toadfrog

Tee Heee I shoot mine in a mold . Don't beat ,please not in the head . It'll make me crazy .

Back