Landing Net

Hawnjigs

KISS
Never thought I needed one especially due the extra baggage on treks. But, I noticed up on the rocky shore N. Platte River that other anglers were having an EZer time releasing with the trout in a net which appeared to restrain flopping around movement. Did OK with in water forceps de-hooking but am thinking that the playing to exhaustion this release method requires is harder on the fish. So, thinking about getting one & any advice would be appreciated.

StumpHunter

I have one like this I take with me while fly fishing for trout. It is lite and hangs well from the back of my vest. I use the magnet connector to hold it to my vest and with the cord attached you have all the lead you need to net the trout and release. I fish some places where all fish have to be released at times so this net really helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/StreamSide-...667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aec7687f3

JUNGLEJIM1

I don't use nets but should with trout,they are slippery. If you turn a trout over belly up quickly while handling them most of the time they stop squirming and you can get a hook out quickly. I have a net but always seem to leave it in the truck. I pinch down barbs and usually hooks come out with a little twist without removing them from the water. Get a good net and carry it with you. I've lost a couple giants because I didn't have one. I wish I practice what I preach but like to travel light when walking a long way.

Back