Lake Erie Steelhead Trip

jjsjigs

Banned
The infamous Pennsylvania faction of the Dirtbag Flyfishing Posse rolled in 4 strong to Girard, PA to fish Elk and Walnut Creeks for Steelhead!
PA022054.jpg

Stopped at the Girard Dinor or a Dino Burger. This place caters to the fisherman. The open at 0-dark-thirty and give a 10% discount to anglers.
The Dino Burger... I even had this for breakfast it was so good!!
utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDcuanBn.jpg

The bathroom had a bacon dispenser. Push button - get bacon!!!
utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTEuanBn.jpg

Then on the "events" bulletin board they had a game called "Corn Hole". I bet it's played by convicts doing 20 to life... and I bet you squeal like pig while you play. Corn Hole? Who thought of that 'effed up name?

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDkuanBn-1.jpg

Elk was low and clear on Friday and Saturday. Really low and clear. These Steelhead saw tremendous fishing pressure.

PA022048_01.jpg
In fact, they were accustomed of the angler presence and I could get within one rod length of them. I actually touched a few with the tip of my rod and they didn't even move much.

PA022051_01.jpg

These pics don't give the perpective right.... they look like stream trout, right? These fish are over 30 inches each.
PA022052.jpg

All of us chucked just about our entire flyboxes at these fish. Hell, I even broke out a bass hair bug and a dry fly and skated over the topwater out of frustration.

No takers... but some of these steelies had multiple hooks in their tails, dorsal fins, mouth, flanks.... looked like they visited the local tattoo shop for piercings.

The next morning we got on Elk at first light and fished from the railroad tubes upstream all the way past the High Trestle to the Legion Hole. About a 4 mile walk one way.

PA022049.jpg

We found a few fish and proceeded to flog the water hoping for an aggressive strike but we only suceeded in a few foulhooked fish.

PA022050.jpg

It became cold with a heavy rain and we thought a change of scenery might up our success. With the rain falling we though a fresh run of fish would come in. We looked at the chaos at Walnut Creek Wall. Not many anglers were having luck or braving the rain. A lot packed up and went home.

PA022055.jpg

PA022056.jpg

We then went to the Nursery Waters of Trout Run and watched the big fish try and get up the falls

PA022057.jpg

PA022058.jpg

PA022059.jpg

This heron thought he could get a big meal.

PA022060.jpg

PA022061.jpg

The next day the creeks were blown out and unfishable. Yeah, that's a little snow getting spit into the rain fall as well. Boy it got COLD!
PA032063.jpg

PA032064.jpg

Where you see Mr. Carr fishing in the run... this was bare rock with no water a mere 12 hours before. Elk was up 4 feet from the day before!! A lot of rain in 12 hours.
PA032065.jpg

We tried fishing but just ended up dodging logs and catching leaves. But man... did we have fun!

jjsjigs

Banned
Can you believe we didn't catch a single fish!!! When the water was that clear and low these Steelies would see the drift of the fly... move over and let the fly drift through unmolested and then return back their lie. It was unreal. The only time we had fish on was when we foul-hooked them... then we would just give them a little slack and they would pop off. We don't like to haul in foul-hooked fish... but that's just us.

I saw a LOT of snagging going on. (Totally illegal in PA by the way...)
No lures, no bait, just a bare hook. Guys using stuff like this:
10snag.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Thank you for the great pics & comments!

Is the seated angler at the Wall fighting one?

How would 4# mono stealth presentations fare with maybe a 1/24 #8 finesse jig?

jjsjigs

Banned
Yeah the seated dude had one on but it broke off before I could snap a pic.

You can land the Steel with 4lbs test... I was using 5x fly tippet last weekend and had 2 in my net (but forget to bring my digcam along). You have to be skillful... but it can be done. Fluro works the best when water conditions are that low. But I'm too cheap to buy fluro at 8.99 a spool.

Back