Lab oven question

Jighead76

I know I'm full of questions. I just got back on here after a really busy year. Anyway I didn't stop tying and now I'm back I figured you all could answer a few things for me. I've been looking up lab or shop ovens on eBay. I wanted to know If you had any experience with them for curing powdercoat paint? I had a big toaster oven and it's hard to keep the temp even. I've even had a hard time with my home oven keeping it at a constant setting. These lab ovens seem like they keep the temperature constant. Just wondering if anyone's seen or used them.

Kdog

I would be looking at a convection oven for temp uniformity. There are several counter top models for kitchen use that are very well made. I've been dreaming about http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KCO223CU-Convection-Countertop-Oven/dp/B003TT0ZC2 to replace my current wally world special which after the addition of an upper and lower hearth stone works well enough. But if I had the money, I would really look at http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/supera/cvo-50-1/p1559041.aspx

A great lab oven we used for some highly specialized applications testing color changing paints as well as testing of corrosion resistance was very accurate and provided uniform temperature was an earlier version of
http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/T...=49849374039&gclid=CITKmsTV9sECFY9aMgodWgoADQ

Jighead76

Thanks. The kitchen aid seems to be in my price range. I'll check it out. My current oven gets to temp then it shuts down and the temp drops. It cycles like that and it makes the paint chip and not get as hard. Thanks for the info.

Kdog

Jig Head,
I had the same problem and solved it by adding a piece of slate above the bottom burner where the drip tray went and just below the top burner on a set of rails I glued in. Takes a bit longer to come up to heat, but stays very consistant once it does.

AllenOK

Jighead, hi there. I'm relatively new to this site, so I haven't met you yet.

I'm a cook by trade. Thee easiest way to regulate an oven's temp is to put a pizza stone in the oven. Of course, this also tends to make the oven a little hotter than what you set it at. Get an oven thermometer and keep that in the oven while it's on, and adjust the temp accordingly.

For something small like a toaster oven (never owned one), you might want to try and get some small ceramic tile and place that in the oven to help regulate the temp. Again, you might need to find a way to check the actual temp inside the oven instead of what the dial indicates.

If you go that route, you need to make sure there is enough clearance between the deck/floor of the toaster oven and any shelves and/or elements.

Lost Pole

We've got a small convection oven and I dunno how I ever got along w/o it. It holds temp to the T. Ill look at the brand when I get home

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Allen - That is a heck of an idea. I am guessing, in theory the stone holds the heat so the oven does not need to cycle near as often? Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the tip.

AllenOK said:
......The easiest way to regulate an oven's temp is to put a pizza stone in the oven.....

Jighead76

Great idea. I'll see about a stone. I need a new oven anyway because I donated mine to work. I think I'll go with a kitchen aid with a piece of stone cut to size. I have a thermometer I ordered I'll mount through the glass front. Should be good for a few years then.
Thanks for the great advice. Couldn't have done it without ya.

Back