Keeping zonkers from fouling

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Any of you who use long strips of zonkers have most likely (please say it isn't just me) had the strip come back up and wrap around the hook. This happens more frequently with more than 1 strip attached. I end up fixing the strips each time i notice this. Not a big deal, but discovered a little trick that so far has completely kept this from happening.

1/8 oz. on top
1/16 oz. in the middle
Custom swimmer on the bottom
101_1222_e.jpg

I have used deer tail on the bottom of strips alot, but this was the first i had wrapped it all the way around with the strip on the inside. I fished them on 2 trips out and only had the zonker foul up once. The deer keeps the zonker heading out the back and away from the hook, and if you leave the strip long enough you still get some excellent tail action. :D AF

Hawnjigs

KISS
I never thought of tying the zonker under the shank with the fur side upright, looks pretty good. The thinner hair over ties blend with the zonker nicely without adding excessive bulk. Lotsa potential here IMO.

Hmm, using this concept maybe a zonker could be tied over the shank with the fur facing down and pinned?

I like the tapered minnow look a lot - looks like you one upped the Clouser AF !

Back