keeping them eyes clean

goodtimesfishing

So I searched the website for any great ideas out there on how to keep the eyes clean when powder painting. Sounds like most just like to hold the jig by the eye preventing much of the powder from getting in the eye. I have an idea I am going to try and if it works the way I hope it will I will post pics. I have seen some ingenious ideas on this site, so I am wondering what ideas are out there for keeping the powder paint out of the eyes??

baitmaster

Like you said, I hold the Jig by the eye with a pair of smooth jawed forceps. The smooth jaw keeps the eye from getting messed up. I also have a dental tool that cleans out any that accidentally got in.

hookup

1. Hold jig by eye w/ hemo's
2. Paint
3. Use one of those eye clearning tools the break away any non-cured powder paint
4. Scrap off any remaining powder paint w/ old xacto or box cutting blade.
5. Rub any excess off between thumb & fore finger
6. Cure jig

Allot of work, but guarentee's a clean eye.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
hookup said:
1. Hold jig by eye w/ hemo's
2. Paint
3. Use one of those eye clearning tools the break away any non-cured powder paint
4. Scrap off any remaining powder paint w/ old xacto or box cutting blade.
5. Rub any excess off between thumb & fore finger
6. Cure jig

Allot of work, but guarentee's a clean eye.

^^^ That is the same way i do it as well. Makes a mess of the ends of the hemostats (the way i paint anyways) but just use a larger knife to scrape the hemo's clean when the paint starts building up. When 'tapping on' paint from a brush, i will also wrap my hook shank and point with a piece of alum. foil so i do not get any paint on the business end.

I can remember someone was holding the hookbend with hemo's, heating the head, dipping JUST the hook eye in water to cool it down, then dipping in the powder. All that sounds like too much concentration after a beer or three. I'd have trouble hitting the hole sometimes. :p

Shoemoo

I have a specific pair of bent needle nose pliers I use for dipping the jigs. I got the pliers in a cheap set, so I don't worry about the tips getting covered in paint. I just scrape them when they get too caked with powder. They generally don't leave enough powder on the eye to make it close up while baking. On the few jigs that do close up, I set them aside for when I do my next round of painting. I keep a big hook around for cleaning closed eyes. I heat it in the flame from my oil lamp, then run the point into the eye on both sides. It melts the paint and the jig is ready for tying.

goodtimesfishing

well my idea did not work as I hoped so i went back to just cleaning eye out after last dip. I use a bamboo skewer tip. After my last dip into fluid bed, I poke eye and dip jig in water and done. I will post a pic of the jigs I just painted in a new thread.

Back