just odered jacobs 1/24 and 1/16 roundhead molds

redear

hey guys I just ordered 2 jighead molds from jacobs, a 10 cavity 1/16 no collar and a 1/24 roundhead in collars and no collars. I needed some round head molds for tying that produced a smoother finish, such as a cnc cut mold produces. I know I could have made them in a single pour mold, but for 50 bucks each I cant help myself. been wanting to tie up some jigs like the ones meatgetter and his wife makes, with the chenille and the kiptail with the tinsel stinger out the back.

redear

Ok Crappy happy I'll update you'uns when I get them, looks like they may have already shipped from what I see on my emails. what state are these comming from? amazing how when ya order something, that ya can get all fidgety waiting for it to come, lol. not showing on the tracking number yet, but heck it's only been 24 hours since I ordered them. the 1/24 size is something I am excited about having too, I have a single cavity mold I made and it's about that weight, but really need the roundhead too.

redear

the molds came today and they are really nice! they came in just a few days, which for this type of product being built by one man is impressive indeed. I am too tired today to do any pouring but tomorrow I may have to try a few heads. Rick had these things packed up to where they weren't about to get damaged. I'll check back in after I pour a few. I really like the way he laid the cavities out too.

redear

long story short, these molds worked very well for me today! used the lee bottom pour pot and poured probably 100 heads, did some 1/16 no collars and some 1/24 no collars as well as some 1/24 with the barbed collar, I had near 100 percent perfect heads with only 1 defect head, and I'm sure it was my fault somehow. used size 4 black sickles on both sizes, no flashing around the heads at all, I had just a tad down the hook shank on the 1/16's but this is because the mold is designed to accept several hook sizes. when loading the molds with hooks I laid the mold on two peices of wood in order to suspend the round handles off the table, otherwise the mold would rock back and forth on those round handles. the half round shaped fill holes are different than I have been used to but they also allow the pot spout to sit all the way down in the bottom of the hole, only 3/32 over top of the cavity, no other design would accomplish this. I held the mold up tight against the pour spout on some heads but this left very little sprue lead to grab with the pliers, so I then tried not holding the mold up there very tight and this let some excess lead fill up around the pour spout, this gave me something to grab with the pliers when removing the heads from the mold. these molds poured better than any of my do it molds as far as precision and filling the heads out completely. the heads are smoother too not having the textured finish of the sand casted molds we are all used to using.

redear

I was looking for my size 6 sickles to use on the 1/24 heads also but must have put them somewhere else, I could have swore I had about 1500 of them around here somewhere, lol. so here is the deal, I am very happy with my purchase, they are a super value for the price, and they are made to take larger hooks than the do its will and the hook eyelet recesses are elongated which is something we all like to see. I don't ever twist the sprue off of any jighead, I always cut them off, and you will probably have to cut the sprues off of these heads too as I did. there is very little space between the jighead and the excess lead from the fill hole, meaning you need a pair of gate shears with a small pointed tip to be able to reach in between there and cut the sprue, my cheap pair worked ok but I saw a pair somewhere that would work better, the tips were tapered out thinner towards the tips, this would help get in that tight spot to cut the sprue. pretty sure I will order a few more of these molds.

redear

ok, I was back at it again today and poured close to 200 heads just guessing, and only had one head that wasn't 100 percent perfect! I even poured some 2x lite mustads and they were a beautiful pour! I didn't expect that because in the do it molds the lead gets around the hook eye too much. anyway what else can I say? I have poured something like 300 heads and only remelted 2 of them, I have never had that kind of success before especially with wheel weight lead which is what I have been using. the molds are breaking in real nice too, there is an alignment pin up by the handles and when brand new it can be a little tight when closing the mold all the way, this is what you want though, and after a few hundred heads it is closing easier. my pot is cooling down, so need to go check on it.

redear

poured another couple hundred 1/24 heads today with both collars and without, and had no defective heads in the whole bunch, had the tire weight lead pretty hot today. I took my pair of sprue snippers and ground the tips down thinner so they could more easily cut the sprue without having to wedge them in there, after I cut the sprue I can't even tell were it was.

redear

yeah they are sweet, I actually like the fill hole shape on these better than the do its, because with the do it molds I am constantly getting lead squirting upward beside the pour spout and sometimes getting into adjacent fill holes, with these jacobs molds that only happens to me once in a while, in other words I can control any over pour better. the only thing that might get a little tough is when I hold the mold up tight to the pour spout, this makes it a little harder to get the jighead out of the mold because this leaves very little sprue for you to grab with the pliers, so I have been holding the mold up to the spout rather loosely in order to give me a little extra sprue to grab, no sweat then, pretty dog gone smooth heads too, nice and shiney. If I was using better lead and not wheel weight stuff these heads would look like mirrors. ok so I spent a 100 bucks on these 2 molds and they are great, money well spent for sure, I gave some 1/24 heads to a guy yesterday and youda thought I gave hime a million dollars, said he'd never seen 1/24's before.

redear

have poured over 500 heads so far out of these 2 molds, 1/16 and 1/24 and have only had 2 heads that I needed to remelt, ran 200 or so the other day with 0 defective heads. just got 2 thousand size 6 sickles from capt. hooks, wish I had a few days off to do some more pouring but right in the middle of my work week. I can see some 1/24 round heads no collars on the size 6 hooks. the wife spotted me pouring the new molds and she knew they were new and different looking, caughty caught caught, only thing that saved me was I been fixing her hunting bow up with expensive stuff, lol.

redear

thinking about getting the 1/32 roundhead mold, just trying to make up my mind about either all no collars or a combo mold.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
redear said:
.......new molds and she knew they were new and different looking, caughty caught caught.....

redear said:
.....thinking about getting the 1/32 roundhead mold.....

You better be making that bow a work of art!

The 1/24 size is a nice middle of the road weight..... #6 in them will be nice for targeting bluegill. :icon14:

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Honestly I would recommend the combo on ricks molds. Two molds for the price of one! All one style is not really going to speed up the pouring by pouring with the layout being top and bottom.

redear

I have a few piles of the 1/24's ready to start painting now with sickles in 4 and 6. ya know these collarless heads regardless of weather they come from a do it or jacob are on the light side which is fine by me, what I am saying is these 1/24 collarless are really just a hair heavier than a true 1/32, and a collarless 1/32 is probably close to a true 1/64 just guessing there. the collared and barbed heads are dead on for true weight, but this 1/24 round head no collar seams to be the perfect size regardless of weight and I always wanted a head size in between the 1/32 and 1/16. I really like jacobs collar and barb design too they fill out and pour well.

Back