Juniata River 4th of July

SaltyBuckster

Went out this morning to make sure that the boat was ready for the flounder trip tomorrow morning.This is a tribute to our fellow member Toadfrog's creations.1/8 oz. brown roundhead with an orange and brown paddletail made by Toadfrog.Put on some 8 lb. test on my Mitchell 300 and Ugley Stik combo and tied it on last night.1 paddletail = 1, 2 1/2 lb. smallmouth.Pretty good ratio there Toad.Was out for about 45 mins.

Attachments

• DSC00037.JPG
    DSC00037.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00039.JPG
    DSC00039.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00044.JPG
    DSC00044.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 83

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nice chunky SMB. :) That does look like a nice plastic bait too.

I have to agree with JJ1 - i could spend many hours JUST around those bidge pilings and logjam..... how deep was the area you had the boat in? Beautiful river!

SaltyBuckster

That part of the river was about 5 - 6 feet in the channel.Above the bridge.About 10 foot below the fish dam under the bridge.To go up over the fish dam above the bridge you would have needed a jet.But we did try,lol.

papaperch

AZslabber- my maternal side of the family hails from Huntingdon Pa. Which the Juniata runs close to. I fact as a kid I used to refer to it as the Juanita river. Fished it , Whipple Dam and several creeks for trout , bass , chain pickerel and about anything else a 12 yrd old boy could think of. That was more than 50 years ago which was well before Raystown was built.

Grandfather , David A. Price was a great trout fisherman in the 30s and 40s prior to moving to Ohio during WWII. He took great joy in showing how to use fly rod and to fish his favorite spots back home. He always refered to Huntington as back home and never did take Ohio to heart. LOL
By the way my first fly rod was given to me by him. It was won in a trout contest sometime in the 30's. Wished I still had it.

SaltyBuckster

Yea Hays, Huntington is just down the road from me.I have a trout creek right in front of me.Can't wait for the leaves to fall so I can get a good pic of it from my porch.Honey Creek it is.

Back