JJ and Fatman

lizardpuller

Thanks for the replies. Do ya'll put the flash material on as the middle layer or as the last layer? Which orientation of the satin do you prefer, if it matters? Thanks again....my water finally cooling down a bit:D

moswampy

Depends when I tie and look I want. Sometimes I put a strip down each side like a lateral line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatman

I learned the tying process from reading JJ's posts and the conversations he had with Red - I tie the satin fibers around the whole jig, but I like the wool to be seen underneath. I like the shiny side of the satin. I probably tie them a little fuller than they should be.

These were the first ones I tied and it wasn't enough satin strands
100_4433-1.jpg

jiggerjohn

Lizard, This year I've been using the ultrathin "Angel hair" as flash- which I place on the shank first,so it runs as a tail of sorts,straight out the rear of the jig. I always trail this at least 1/2" beyond any other material for optimum tail motion. After placing wool down for the main body,I prefer a few thin strands of a white/silver (or gold) satin as a base,then place another doubled over(to hit both sides) sparse clump of whatever satin color I wish to emphasize -usually light blue,orange, or pink.

redman

Doug really like the head on that jig. One that I found to be a good spring time pattern was to powder paint the head Sapphire Blue and tie it with white and black. Something on my lake that they like but would urge you to use red thread to imitate a gill flash. Seems at least to me that red thread with a minnow pattern is the way to make it work the best.

AS far as where to place the flash I have tied it in a number of different ways the satin is the last thing I tie in the crystal flash that I use can be tied in at any time and it doesn't seem to matter where or when.

Redman

Back