Jighead Holder For Curing

ScottV

A fellow on C.com called PaprHead came up with a great idea for a holder to cure powder paint jigheads. It holds them head-up so that if you had used a little too much paint, it won't give your jig that swollen nose look. He used a 12 inch length of 5/16 threaded rod. He ran it through a plate on each end and filled the center with 1/4 flat washers. On one plate you lock tight with two nuts. On the other plate, you use a wingnut. To load your jigheads after coating with PP, you lossen the wingnut to give your washers room to slide. In the pics, I have 4 washers between each jig. When you get them loaded, you tighten the wingnut and simply flip the whole thing over. On mine I bought 1 lb. of flat washers from a local supplier.
IMG_5637.jpg
IMG_5638.jpg

Pepop

StumpHunter said:
You done good. That is a nice setup and the more I see y'all working with powder paint it's something I want to try.

StumpHunter, dive off into it! You'll LOVE playing with powder paint and mixing/creating colors all your own. Also, it's real easy to get results like this...

If I can do it, ANYBODY could do it!

BTW, great curing setup! I'm working on one like it.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
After seeing ScottV's (someone else made one too...?) contraption, i made a few in different sizes (lengths) for myself and do not cure with out them. I rotate mine by 1/4 turns throughout the cure so the paint does not slip in any direction.

Mine are slightly different though..... instead of using washers and tightening them all at once, mine has nuts that i tighten each one down along the 3/32 all thread rod. I can adjust the direction of how they are held so wide head designs do not touch each other.

This is my short one - the others fit the width of my toaster oven.

View attachment 7

Here is one other option that you might be able to purchase if you can find a distributior that stocks them....... but what fun is that?? :p
http://www.csipaint.com/products/production-tools/aluminum-clamping-rack.php

Attachments

• 100_4868_e.jpg
    100_4868_e.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 57

Fatman

Yeah they all list them but always seem to be out of stock. Gave up trying to get them and made up the aluminum bread pans.

Cool looking rack!!! How long does it take to cool down after you cure??

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure about ScottV's, but the end plates of mine are made with .03 gauge aluminum. Thin enough that it only holds heat for a minute or two after coming out the oven..... the center rod/nuts hold the heat longer, but i'm never in much of a rush anyway and let them sit plenty long to cool.

StumpHunter

Pepop said:
StumpHunter said:
You done good. That is a nice setup and the more I see y'all working with powder paint it's something I want to try.

StumpHunter, dive off into it! You'll LOVE playing with powder paint and mixing/creating colors all your own. Also, it's real easy to get results like this...

If I can do it, ANYBODY could do it!

BTW, great curing setup! I'm working on one like it.

Started painting with powder right after this post was made in 2010, love to work with powder.

StumpHunter

This thread was started about 3 years ago and the rack that Scott built set my mind to working back then.
This is my drying rack. Used the pan that came with the oven. Cut 2x2 aluminum angle to fit pan and used rivets to attach to pan. I used small all thread, I think it is 1/8''. I can hang around 30 jigs per rod.

Attachments

• drying rack 001.JPG
    drying rack 001.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 30

ScottV

I found out with experience that if you use a smaller threaded rod and smaller washers, the jigs go on the holder a lot easier. With the larger rod, the hooks would catch the larger threads which doesn't happen with the small threaded rod. The end pieces I used are galvanized plates used in connecting 2X4s. In the pic is the better curing rack in the foreground.
zapu4yde.jpg7e5abu4a.jpg

Back