Jigging for Carp

Hawnjigs

KISS
I don't target them, but get more than I like amount of bycatch on "Basher" style 1/16 ball head #4 & #6 Sickle jigs. Chunky hard pullers, but IMO getting em in takes too much time away from more tasty species. Here's a pic that JiggerJohn shared with me of his home grounds.

JohnsCarp.jpg

jiggerjohn

Doc, Yep, last Nov and early Dec I was able to jig up these big ones every time out (with patience to get one to four in a morning of steady jigging!). Think they were all over 20 (immediate release for most), and everything on UL and 4# test -lucked out,on this lake shore there were no snags for them to head directly to-just 45 minutes of long running up,down, and out!

jiggerjohn

Doc Crappie said:
Sure sounds like some good of fashion fun to me.... what kind of jig patterns do you use... i have to try it this year got some lakes with some big old carp in them..
Doc, for the most part I use a simple rabbit fur &calf tail combo like is posted in the pic for catfish by Hawnjigs. I like a sickle hook, and often tie the short rabbit fur strip on the bottom of a Hawnjigs 1/20 "spoonie" head. I read somewhere that very serious British carpsters will NOT use lead,because they believe lead gives off "negative ions" that turn carp off -so I've been having great success with tin or alloy jigheads! Another trick-soak the rabbit fur in corn juice,tip with a single corn kernel, and chum the area with half a can of corn. Then proceed to work slowly and allow plenty of time for Mr carp to find you!

Back