Jig styles

Pop

I have alot of molds by most standards. For ball head jigs I have both barb and ball collars, but; no plain collars. I cut off the collars when I want a jig without a collar. I never get an exact 1/32 or 1/16 ounce jig, but pretty close. Does anyone think this matters. I have been debating if I should buy 2 more molds, 1/32 and 1/16 for some crappie jigs. Any opinions? Thanks, Pop

Fatman

Pop

I've been cutting collars off for a long time. I finally did buy the new mold but only because the arthritis has gotten into my hands and it was easier to just buy the mold. Unless your really worried about exact weight cut the collars off, I've even cut the barbs off and filed grooves to have collars with a ball end.

JUNGLEJIM1

I have over 30 molds,about 2/3 don't have collars. Most molds aren't what they say they are. I like weighing jigs and knowing how much they weigh so if I need a heavier or lighter jig depending on how shallow or windy the spot I'm fishing is I know what to reach for. It's nice having some in between sizes like a 1/24 when a 1/16 is to heavy and 1/32 is too light. Variety matters,exact weight doesn't. If the molds you are wanting to buy are collarless I'd get the Pro molds from Do-It. The 1/16 is almost dead on, the 1/32 weighs about 1/40.

Radtexan

Pop said:
I never get an exact 1/32 or 1/16 ounce jig, but pretty close. Does anyone think this matters. I have been debating if I should buy 2 more molds, 1/32 and 1/16 for some crappie jigs. Any opinions? Thanks, Pop

6 of one,1/2 dozen of the other ;)

I sure dont get hung up on exact weight,,,the fishes tell me what they want...or dont.

redman

Just MHO it doesn't make much differents. I go for size as far as length. Have found that is the important factor. I am like junglejim I have a bunch of molds collared and no collars. Use them all for different uses. All have a use in catching fish the trick is to know when to use the right one at the right time. That is one reason a fishing journal. Is so important.

Redman

Pop

Thanks for the opinions. The replys are appreciated. Pop

LedHed

Sponsor
Can't have too many molds.

I think when you trim off the barb you will change the balance of the jig. Does it matter? Not sure.

Hawnjigs

KISS
IMO well worth the price of molds to save the time it takes to de-collar. Whenever I feel tight about spending, I remind myself "ain't getting any younger".

"Can't have too many molds." Funny, coming from LedHed. For the newbies, how many is that?

papaperch

My main concern is about weigh but for perhaps different reason. Fish and crappie in particular often suck in their prey by creating a vacuum. This is accomplished by forcing water out its gills with its mouth open. If I miss too many fish I go to a lighter jig. If I am nailing them with an almost 100% hook up ratio not even at gunpoint will I change anything. I could care less if it is supposed to weigh an 1/8 of an oz but is actually 7/64 or 3/32 or whatever.

If I am fishing water over 12 foot deep I will use the largest jig that measures up to an acceptable hook up to strike ratio. Theoretically the lighter jig should be easier to vacuum than a heavier one. When ice fishing I often use a heavier lure above a small or even neutral buoyant lure ( such as my ice flea or bug ). Some times I will use a tiny lure under a hookless spoon. I almost never miss a strike on one of these setups. Nothing is 100 % but these rigs come pretty down close.

If you have ever used a dry fly for big slab bluegills you have heard their huge slurps on the surface when sucking the bugs off the top of the water. What is amazing at least to me is watching crappies under a submerged light. They take a minnow that is attracted to the light with so little effort and silence that is unbelievable. They may start out at first so deep you can't see them but if the minnows continue up the water column the crappies follow. Sometimes the crappies back fin is out of the water. This is rare but it does happen. Usually when this is going on fishing is fast and furious. Night summertime crappies come up lay on their side and suck a minnow in like someone sitting in a recline chair eating a snickers.

Got to agree with Led and Hawn can't have too many molds and we dang sure ain,t getting younger

Back