Jig primer

oleo40

I want to airbrush some jigs for Walleye and would like to know what primer to use. I have tried Createx white but the flaws show right through. :) Help Thanks in advance Ole

QPassage

I recall reading someplace that the Createx Opaque White is the best for priming cranks not sure on jigs. But guessing from contractor experiences white always covers better.

oleo40

Kdog said:
I use a liquitex gray gesso as a primer on jigs. Not sure what you mean by flaws, the primer is designed to perpare a surace to ensure adhesion of the top coat. If you have voids in the jig surface that you are trying to hide, use a filler such as drywall spackle

Gesso
http://www.liquitex.com/ColoredGesso/
Thinner
http://www.liquitex.com/airbrushmedium/

Thanks Kdog, by flaws I mean scratches as my mold Is not a pro model and all jigs have marks [scratches] on them that I was hoping the primer might cover some. Ole

Kdog

The gesso is a bit heavy bodied and covers well and 2-3 coats may build up enough to fill some imperfections but as a general rule, I would say if the scratches are large enough to be objectionable they should be filled first.

You could also try a can of rustoleum primer and tape your eyes and dip and let drip dry, may fill some larger blemishes especially with 2-3 dips.

Oleo, check this video, shows a commercial operation and how they handle scratches as well as the complete process.

oleo40

Bucko said:
What style jigs are you painting? Size? Any pictures of them? Just trying to picture how big of a void you are trying to coat.

'Bucko' funny- that is what my uncle called me as a little one. I am making 1/16 to 5/8 Walleye mold [do-it] jigs and the mold came complete with scratches. None are large enough to be real worried about, just wish I could fill them in an easy way [primer] Ole

CrappieHappy

use JB Weld to fix the issues with the mold. you can also use high temp RTV. I have used JB weld on several molds with no issues.

Kdog

Scratches are usually caused by dings at the parting line surface (suracfe/cavity junction) oftencan be easily removed with a bit of emery cloth on a wooden dowel. Sometimes you can can use metal polish and felt wheel on a dremel and polish cavity and remove burrs at same time. Go slowly and be patient.

oleo40

Kdog said:
Scratches are usually caused by dings at the parting line surface (suracfe/cavity junction) oftencan be easily removed with a bit of emery cloth on a wooden dowel. Sometimes you can can use metal polish and felt wheel on a dremel and polish cavity and remove burrs at same time. Go slowly and be patient.
I tried cleaning it up as you suggested and will pour a few tomorrow to see if it is better. Also going to try Createx opaque white as a primer as I have some left. Ole

Back