Jig or Fly?

Barefoot

I recently experimented with the Fish Skulls heads as I liked the look of the Deceiver pattern on it and wanted to fish it as a swimming jig on spinning gear for Speckled Trout.
IMG_0582.jpg
The Fish Skull head on a "streamer fly" performs the same function as a jig head in this application.
lg-ultra-sexyshad-deceiver-jig009_full.jpeg

Making the lure swim effectively is the objective whether reeling or stripping though the action may be different in either application.
I find the same circumstance when tying jigs for Pompano fishing. I try to mimic Bonefish & Permit fly patterns like the Clouser or Merkin on jigs. In my mind, the jig head is the same as the dumbell, conehead or bead weight on these patterns and the objective is to hop or walk the lure on the bottom.
I get inspired by the realistic interpretations of fly tying and keep trying to translate that to jig / spin fishing. I keep trying to create a more natural looking jig.
Fundamentally, fly fishing is creating a natural presentation and jig fishing is about creating a reflex response.
Whether fly or jig tying, both disciplines have the same goal of catching fish and there is a whole lot of gray area and overlap between the two. The distinction is becoming increasingly blurred especially for saltwater.
I get a lot of inspiration from the this forum. From the tying skills to the artistic creativity and the "matching the hatch" mentality. It is every bit as intriguing as the fly tying forums.
So, before I run off and buy an 8 weight to fish my skulls, I have decided to incorporate the Deceiver to this 3/16 head and will add the feathers, flash and throat to this pattern.
256737714.jpg

quivira kid

Some good thoughts there, for sure. I am right there with you! "Crossover" ideas will help you as a fisherman and tyer, period.

Your pictures are all good, but that blue and chartreuse Ultra minnow is very impressive! Top notch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatman

Both excellent ties! Paint a few jig heads the same way with the same color eye and tie the same pattern on the jig head. There are so many patterns that can cross over between flies and jig heads.

Keep up the ties they look great.

Bucho

Nice tying!

Fully agree with the blurred lines between jigs and flies. Here in the baltic sea there are fly anglers who weight their wolly buggers with up to 1/16 oz of lead or tungsten for better jigging action. That´s two times heavier than some of you guys would use on a marabou jig in fresh water - same lure, same species, same presentation.

Fly fishing stuff like those skullz are simply more expensive than casting jigs. I`d rather use light, shiny tin for casting heads like those ultra minnows or shad darts than buying from a fly shop. Far better value :icon14:

Using overly weighted streamers on a fly rod instead of using jig/spin gear in the first place has little to no advantage i.m.o.. Casting them is a pain, but there´s still the joy of feeling the take and playing the fish holding the line itself in your hands. Thats what keeps people using fly gear for fishing with lures that should be considered jigs. Not to forget that "fly-only" issue.... :rolleyes:

StumpHunter

Great post, cross over patterns have helped me a lot in my tying. Learning how to tie flies improved my jig tying 100% because of the details put into tying the flies. I do tend to tie some jigs in the fly patterns, some times they work out to be a better jig to catch fish. The deceivers are a interesting fly to tie, just tied a few of them myself. These are going to be fished for Peacock Bass in Fl. by a guy in New York. Thought about tying this pattern on 1/16 oz Walleye jighead. This are about 6'' long.

20150403_135639_resized.jpg

20150405_144046_resized.jpg

Pup

Excellent ties guys. :cool:

BF, you tie some beautiful jigs. They would work well for big largemouth bass I'd think. Like the looks of your vise too. An Anvil Atlas maybe? If so, those are made southeast of Indy in Columbus, IN. Have thought of purchasing one or something nearly like it.

To the blurred lines discussion, I believe that jig tyers have the advantage of using hairs that absorb water readily. Hence they carry extra weight, the nemesis of any fly for use by a fly caster. I think it's fair to state that wool is a prime example of a material that's often avoided or used sparingly by fly tyers.

The more I tie with leather, I consider its wet weight that it'll add to a jig. I may try designing a leather 'fly' at some point that can be cast by a light bait casting outfit.

Barefoot

It is an Anvil Atlas, Pup. I have tied up to a 6/0 on this vice so it gives a lot of flexibility without having to change jaws.
I am going to start shopping out a fly rig and will start by joining a local fly fishing club. I have been to a meeting and they seem very knowledgeable and helpful.
http://www.hossfly.net/index.html
Thanks

Back