Jig Nymph (float-fly)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Got a bit of round about inspiration from a recent post here and decided to create some nymph jigs.  I know darn well they catch bluegill and crappie around  here so fixed a few up in various sizes.  Think i have here 1/64, 1/32, & 1/16. These are all lead free mixed media alloy, so just a hair lighter than actual head size.   I fished for bass tonight at my hometown Attica reservoir #1 for LM Bass and was amazed by the number of panfish i saw.  Gonna give these a try tomorrow night if all goes as planned. 

View attachment 1

Attachments

• 20180509_002317.jpg
    20180509_002317.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

JUNGLEJIM1

Those will work for sure. I use weighted floats and use permanent markers to camouflage the bottom half of the float in clearer water. It helps on sunny days especially. Fish have been bedding since last Friday so tried another lake where they haven't moved up. Gills were tearing them up but lost several floats and jigs when they wrapped me up in the brush.

hookup

Nice job Attica

Been tying 1/64th and 1/48th recently. Local fly fishing buddies luv them for panfish & largess

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
They worked just fine. Lost count of the gills and crappie I caught in my 1.5 hour quick trip at dusk. Only 1 of the bluegill would have kept and all the crappie are a cookie cutter 9" this year. 

View attachment 2

Attachments

• 20180509_204334.jpg
    20180509_204334.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Jig Man

I been tying mostly 1/8th oz for awhile now, but after the move and fishing a new lake I'm gonna have to down size. Fishing brush piles and bridge pilings they will do fine, but another productive and new to me method is dock shooting. Thats where the lighter stuff will shine. Most , are in 6 to 10 foot of water so the slower they fall the longer it will be in the strike zone.
May have to look at the different alloy. With my old hands and eyes, will be easier to tye I'm thinkin...

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Skeetbum - Yep, the tails are kip and i left a tail end of chart thread out the back as well to give it a little contrast. The bodies are dubbed with chopped up craft fur with some ultra fine wing 'n flash material in the mix.

Jig Man - Using a hackle collar on these really slows the fall.

skeetbum

Some of the plastic chenille like Estaz but way smaller gives good color, easy to tie and slows the fall a lot. I have a 1/64 that I tie that really tries my patience, til it goes thump. But it doesn't compare to the look of those here. I was thinking of them today and figured they were dubbed and was hoping it wasn't rabbit fur. While it works well it sets off my allergies. Glad it's synthetic.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Need to make me about a dozen of these....... it has been my best bait to throw for the last 2 weeks! Have a few with a chart/orange head that work the best so far.

Back