Jig Fishing

Hawnjigs

KISS
For many years 100% tied jigs with no tips, plastics, stingers, etc. But, this past Sept. I was forced to tie on a crank due to extreme weed fouling conditions(every cast!) and it worked like a charm often flipping off hanging weeds long enuf for fish to bite. So now, with the ice broken, not as attached to pure jigging and will have no compunction having to resort again to a crank or even hard metal.

eyecrosser

Never 100%, just fish whatever the conditions dictate. But do fish them a lot, probably 70% of the time.

Kdog

Jigs of some form tipped with a crawler from March thru June, Then Hopkins spoons thru September. Then Vibrating blades thru Mid November, Then Balanced jigs thru February. Always used minnows for crappie but 2013 I started using jigs and tubes with decent success. Caught as many as my minnow fishing buddy. So got interested in tied jigs so got more interested in this forum. Previously was here for casting and PC information.

hookup

No. Hard baits are to productive in the top & middle of the water column to fish a jig exclusively, but then again, I'm chasing mostly small mouth bass

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Don't limit myself, but 90% of the time i start out with jigs. Sometimes i find that live bait (either tipped on dressed jigs or plain hook) will readily out fish artificial and i will begrudgingly admit my loss. BTW, most times i am carrying either live bait or Berkley stuff that is close enough to fool picky fish. That said, winter months through the ice i just about do not leave home with live bait.

papaperch

I will resort to any legal means to catch fish. I do not try and dictate to the fish what they have to bite on so I can catch them.

I have tried just about any method you can think of. I have yet to find one that produces 100 % of the time every time.
There are some methods I prefer but will not limit myself to those preferences.

Example when the walleye fishing went ballistic in the western basin of Lake Erie. On a very calm day trolling became the method to get them. Hot N Tot lures produced limit catches rather easily long as you trolled at right speed. I hated that kind of fishing but could not argue with its success. How good was it back then ? How about anything under 8 lb went back in ? Not every day there but it happened more than once. Just depended on what school you ran across.

Not everyone would troll. Drifting and casting weight forward spinners was the preferred method. But if the drifting wind went dead so did the bite. Those that insisted on continuing to drift often went fishless. Much as I hated trolling logic told me . The whole idea behind fishing is to catch fish. Go with whatever works.

Back