JDM spinning reels

NorCoMike

Anyone here using JDM reels? 

Looking at getting a high end reel soon and cant make up my mind on what to get the JDM market has so many more choices on sizes and styles than the US market.

hookup

I think the JDM reels are are available a year or two before they hit the US, that's that's only mho.

But yes, Japanese Domestic Reels are very nice, but hard to service or get parts for.

Personally if I was shelling out the coin I'd consider a Stella or a Steez that's serviceable in the US

But my wallet's not that fat.

NorCoMike

My wallets not that fat either haha. Been mostly looking at the diawa luvias, ignis type r and the certate or the is the Shimano Cardiff ci4+, twin power.

So far I'm thinking the certate will be ok for what I want to do with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

hookup

I think the Stradic Ci4 is the equivalent to the Cardiff ....

But got to thinking about his on the way to work this morning.  I have two old Stradics (wood handle models) and one old Sustain and needed parts & couldn't even get them through eReplacement.com

I luved my Biomasters but sold them because someone luved them more & I got a Metanium in trade.

I say go for it

Fatman

Hookup - that's weird you couldn't get parts, I've never had a problem getting parts for reels not that I've had to do it very much, but Shimano usually has them. Let me look at some of my links at home and I might have something for you.

Have to agree about the differences in reels between here and Japan. The first year Shimano came out with the Elf spinning reel I wanted one really bad and talked to a distributor in Japan and he gave me that same warning "We'll sell it to you but if it ever needs to be repaired it's going to cost some serious money just getting it back and forth", cause no one in the US worked on them.

WOW!! Just looking at some of the prices on the web for that Stratic Ci4 - I can get 3-4 lower end Shimanos for that!! I've got Shimano's back from 1982 that are still going strong and never a problem and newer ones that have never had any of the binding problems I've read about.

NorCoMike

Well took the plunge anyway and ordered a 13 certate 2004. We will see if they are worth the money over the stradic ci4+ that i have been using.

hookup

Thx FM - get some old reel back in action

Enjoy the Certate - the Ci4 is a nice reel

I ended up selling the Metanium - not much of a baitcaster guy, and for it's value, would rather have a thicker wallet

Fatman

Hookup

This is one place I've dealt with and they're good.  Service fees are actually pretty good if you really like your reels.  

http://www.fishingreelparts.com/  If you know exactly what parts you need and work on your own reels you can look and see if they have the schematics of your reel and order the right parts.  

another one that a lot of the guys on Bass Boat Central say is good for older Shimano parts is Dad's Old Tackle
http://store.dadsoletackle.com/

Hope this helps you out!

redear

I have heard several times from the bass guys looking at reels that shimano is blowing it, I said what do you mean? they say recently shimano is not standing behind their reels and parts supply is a big issue now. It took me aback because I am a shimano fan and own probably 10 of them in the 80 dollar range. But you know with the economy a lot of companies are playing hardball now, with many different products.

hookup

I've had issues with Shimano reels now for over 10 years.

At one point, I owned Biomasters and still own numerous Stradics with the wood handle and Symetries in the old army green. I loved the reels when fishing from a 'real' boat, but as soon as I moved to canoe & kayak they had a binding problem. I wasn't alone with the binding problems - seems like when they got wet they locked up.

I bought a new 2500Mg and had the problems on day one so sent it back to Shimano - after charging me their maintenance cost to fix a reel I owned for less than four months, the reel still had the problems.

I switched to Daiwa but still owned all the Shimanos & started tinkering with them.

I was not alone with the binding problems. The Internet showed me many who had the problem & I came up with a fix of drilling out a plastic bushing that expanded when wet. This helped but didn't eliminate the problem. I found out that Shimano changed the rubber on their friction ring and tried that. But the new friction rings didn't seat as tight and after a year they expanded causing further issues. I removed the friction ring entirely and now the reels seems to work.

I will never buy a new Shimano product again. Used yes - since I just picked up a Sustain for a good price & am always looking for Stellas used - but won't pay the asking.

Daiwa on the other hand has had their own set of problems, but when I send the reels in, they get fixed with no cost. I also asked them to send me some parts that wore out quickly and they did, again no cost. Realize my Daiwa's are Fuego's and SoLs - not cheap - but Daiwa does take care of their customers who buy their top end reels.

Back