Its Official

Radtexan

I mentioned in my last couple creek fishing reports about a few floaters and my fear of another algea bloom occurring on my home two lakes,TPWD made it news today :-/

Looks like Ive got to do some traveling this spring and summer(again)

http://www.kcbd.com/story/17258027/hundreds-of-dead-fish-in-ransom-canyon-lake

17258027_BG2.jpg

blt

What causes this? I can't even think how long it will be until it is back to the level of fishing before this happened.

Radtexan

What is Golden Alga (Prymnesium parvum)?
Prymnesium parvum under microscope
Photo: Dr. Carmelo Tomas UNC Wilmington

A naturally occurring microscopic flagellated alga that typically occurs in brackish waters
Under certain environmental stresses, this alga can produce toxins which can cause massive fish and bivalve (i.e. clams and mussels) kills
There is no evidence these toxins harm other wildlife, livestock or humans
Research is under way to better understand, detect and manage Golden Alga blooms

Fish kills from the golden alga, Prymnesium parvum, have been documented in inland waters in Texas since 1985. While originally noted in the Pecos River in the Rio Grande Basin, the alga has also caused fish kills in four other river basins (Brazos, Canadian, Colorado, and Red River Basins) in Texas. This algal species is found worldwide in estuarine waters (estuaries are mixing zones between freshwater from rivers and seawater) and in some freshwater bodies that have relatively high salt content. Texas biologists were the first to note the occurrence of this alga in freshwater bodies in the Western Hemisphere. Subsequently, other states have reported its occurrence or possible occurrence. Fish kills caused by the alga can be significant, resulting in ecological and economic harm to the affected waterbodies.

As for time who knows,,,The first major kill we had here was 02,,,,got another in 03 and 05...this particular lake has never recovered,or not yet though looking much better just a few weeks ago.... after multiple re stockings...

Back