It's not Perris, but...

quivira kid

I hauled my grandpa out on sunday evening for a little bluegill fishing. Brought a dozen home, caught about 30 fish total. Mostly gills, but a few Kentucky bass and a longear sunfish thrown in for good measure too. Here's two of the bigger ones. I love seeing that "hump" on their head!

SU1HMDIxODYuanBn.jpg

quivira kid

Thanks guys. Anything over 8" that's as big around as these two were is something to be proud of, in my opinion!
I let him keep the fillets to eat for dinner last night. When I called him this afternoon to ask how they were, I was told we would be going back to the lake here SOON for more! And I would be in big trouble if he couldn't go! :D

toadfrog

There is a pond near me no one has fished in for probably 40 years . It was built in the WPA days . you can't see it from any road . I fished it once as a kid . The perch were monstrous in it . Now that there are new owners I think I will see if they will let me fish it . Cause you done flung a hanker'n in on me for some of them fat boys.

quivira kid

Took a buddy out tonight to the same place. He had never caught the quality of gills on a fly rod that we ended up getting into. We caught around 40 fish, and brought home 21 fat male bluegills up to 9" or so.

(Sorry for the terrible pic. It was late, and this is a cell phone picture. I'll post better ones later!)
SU1HMDIxOTMuanBn.jpg

A little black and purple size 12 nymph I tie about 2 feet under a strike indicator (fly fishin' version of a bobber) did the trick yet again. My favorite thing in the world is nymphing weed beds for bluegills like we did tonight!

My friend caught the biggest couple fish of the night. His reaction when he first saw them was priceless! He freaked out. He is used to 5-6" fish, and these 7-9" ones are a whole different ball game... especially on a 3-weight!

Back