It WAS the Bobbin.

duffy

Earlier I had asked about how to continue tying after breaking a thread as I was having a problem with that. Thought I had gotten a bad spool of thread because the bobbin was brand new and it couldn't be that......wrong! Tried another spool and broke off 3 times before even getting the base layer on the hook. Dug out my loupe and peered down the barrel of the new Griffin ceramic bobbin and there it was, a very small, what looks like a hook on the backside of the ceramic insert inside the tube. Don't know if it's a hunk of glue to hold in the insert or part of the insert itself but it's gonna go back to them for a replacement. I tried picking it out but it won't budge and I don't want to mess up the warrantee. Would have not thought of looking in there if Allen hadn't mentioned it so Thank you!

hookup

new Griffin ceramic bobbin

I'm, on my third one due to ceramic breaking inside the tube.

It's not a Griffin problem - I drop mine on occasion. I keep a spare on hand because I'm clumsy

gaspumper

The bobbin I use is a Sunrise 8482,been tying for 37 years,most years I tie 3-5 thousand bucktail jigs a year, and have never broken a bobbin.

duffy

Well I called Griffin and talked to an extremely nice lady and told her about it and she said no problem we'll just send you out a new one. :icon14: :icon14:  I asked if they wanted the old one and she said no, don't bother.  :icon14:  Can't beat that for service. I did look at it much closer with a magnifier in good sunlight and it does look like the ceramic insert is a little rough on the edges. I know I haven't dropped it because I've only used it once and it would have fell on carpet anyway. All my others are just plain flared tubes and so far no problem with them so I may just cut the tube off just below the ceramic, polish it up and keep this one for a spare.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you got it figured out. I have a bobbing (just a metal flared tube style) that has a nick in it. Cuts me off almost every time i try to put a whip or half hitch in so i set it aside. Need to get out some sand paper or steel wool and try to smooth it out. One trick i have always read about was to rub a cotton ball or Q-tip over the end of the flared tube tip. If the cotton gets stuck and pulls..... you have a burr that needs sanded down.

Back