Is my math right?

Airstreamfield

Hey guys, was wondering if you could help me out with some lead pouring math. First let me say it's all sort of approximate.

Anyhow, so this is just an example...

1/100oz jig heads means you can pour 100 jigs per oz of lead, right?

Since there is 16 ounces in a pound....

100 x 16 = 1600

Is that right?

Thanks!

Airstreamfield

Annndddd....

1/24 would be 24 x 16 = 384

1/4oz would be 4 x 16 = 64

3/8oz is a bit tricky...

3/8 -1 = 3/5 -1 3/2 =/2 left over /2 x 16 = /32 left over...stay with me...

/32 divided by 3/ is 10.6 meaning we have to deal with that darn left over again...which only comes out to /1 so you can't pour anything with the left over there.

Totaling 42 for the 3/8th?

Is any of that right? I suck at math.

hookup

You need to account for any crap in the lead and the fact that the pot's not going to pour 100% of the lead in it.

Jay Wirth

I find that head weights are approximate as is the weight of processed lead - as we all know as we melt we also scrape off slag which was part or the original weight. Also heads and molds differ as well as design. The jig my family has been known for since the 60s went through some design changes early in the design. The three sizes we offer 1/4, 1/2, & 5/8 is lighter than the original design. Though keep in mind the size / shape didn't change. So to avoid confusion my father began just calling them 1/4, 1/2, 5/8 without indicating oz / weight rather just the size. I still get guyes who weigh their jigs and complain. My thought - if you are spending time weighing your jigs your doing it wrong.

Kdog

Jay, I beg to differ regarding weight. I fish a lot using a plain jig tipped with a piece of crawler or sometimes a minnow. We drift/troll at a specific speed (modern trolling motors are wonderful) ranging from 0.3 to 0.9MPH. I can attest that there is a big difference if you have a 1/32 or a 1/24 or a 1/16. Depending on wind and wave action a 1/32 may not tick the bottom and a 1/24 is needed. A bit higher speed and the 1/16 may be needed or may be too heavy. Too heavy is usually idicated by excesive snagging (we call it dredging). I have an old mold that is supposedly 1/32 and I used to catch a lot of fish when no one else was catching. Same color, same hook size and style. Other days, All I would do was tie on new jigs. In a moment of lucidity, I weighed the jigs and discovered the 1/32 were around 17 grains which is just shy of 1/24oz.

We now have separate boxes for each size as follows 1/48, 1/32, 1/24, 1/16, 3/32 and 1/8. Consistantly, we will out catch all other boats in the area. It is not unusual to see 15 - 20 boats doing exactly the same drift, same speed, but we catch more fish. Its kinda hard to be secrative but we never tell the difference and often the in between sizes are what make a limit rather than a 2 fish day.

Kdog

Airstreamfield your math is right, Here is a little table of the data. Please note, depending on the purity of your lead, amount of cleaning you do as well as temperature and holding time, your yeild will not be exact. if you are off more than 10%, you are likely wasting lead.
First result is jigs per ounce, second is jigs per pound
(16*(1/(n/nn)))

Weight----Jigs/Oz------Jigs/lb
1/100----100--------1600
1/80-----80---------1280
1/64-----64---------1024
1/48-----48---------768
1/32-----32---------512
1/24-----24---------384
1/16-----16---------256
3/32-----11---------171
1/8------8----------128
1/4------4----------64
5/16-----3----------51
3/8------3----------43
7/16-----2----------37
1/2------2----------32
5/8------2----------26
3/4------1----------21
7/8------1----------18
1/1------1----------16

Airstreamfield

Thanks guys and for that chart! So if you pay 1$ for a lb of lead 1/100 oz jig heads are going to cost you way less than 1 cent each of lead? I was originally trying to figure out the cost of each jig head it costs me to pour + hook cost.

I also noticed that my 1/32 oz jigs were 1/24oz...I weighed them because I couldn't remember if they were 1/32 or 1/16 and it turned out neither.

Jay Wirth

Kdog, I would never think of trolling with a jig with the exception of a floating head. Typically we us spinner rigs, rapalas, or the floating head jigs on a harness for trolling. Even if trolling a jig weights are subject to head shape for the way they act while being pulled through the water. Ill have to give it a try.......

Kdog

Jay Wirth said:
Kdog, I would never think of trolling with a jig with the exception of a floating head. Typically we us spinner rigs, rapalas, or the floating head jigs on a harness for trolling. Even if trolling a jig weights are subject to head shape for the way they act while being pulled through the water. Ill have to give it a try.......

The ideal for how we fish jigs, is fast enough that the jig bumps the bottom and bounces up and over the rocks. Too slow, or too heavy a jig and it will wedge under a rock. It is very much a finesse method, light rods, medium action. I'm still trying to figure some things out, there are times when to better set the hook instantly and other times where you may give out 30-40 feet of line. Personally, I like the walleye head or a nice round head for this type of fishing.

Kdog

Airstreamfield said:
Thanks guys and for that chart! So if you pay 1$ for a lb of lead 1/100 oz jig heads are going to cost you way less than 1 cent each of lead? I was originally trying to figure out the cost of each jig head it costs me to pour + hook cost.

I also noticed that my 1/32 oz jigs were 1/24oz...I weighed them because I couldn't remember if they were 1/32 or 1/16 and it turned out neither.

Airstreamfield.
I find that my cost to melt especially on small jigs is more than the cost of the lead. Hook cost is the one you need to watch. I buy hooks 1,000 minimum and get good prices but do need to consider carrying costs as well. Lead is always a goofy thing to calculate. I get a lot of pure lead from a demolition company and need to break it down and clean it up. I do this in a barrel behind the barn over a wood fire. Some lots I get a really good yeild and others not so good. I get the firewood for free so cost is neglible but time and wax for cleaning adds up and disposing of the gunk could be a big expense. A local salvage company allows me to dump it in with their lead scrap and let the reclaim company deal with it.

Airstreamfield

Yea I sort of came to that conclusion as well...The hooks are pretty cheap and I can't even calculate how much $$$ is in the lead, but time is going to be the biggest thing. I gotta start practicing speed pouring.

Kdog

Airstreamfield said:
Yea I sort of came to that conclusion as well...The hooks are pretty cheap and I can't even calculate how much $$$ is in the lead, but time is going to be the biggest thing. I gotta start practicing speed pouring.

Sometime in late winter, we have a jig making party. 3 guys are pouring and 5 or 6 setting hooks in molds and another group desprues. Its not unusual for us to go thru 10,000 hooks during one of these sessions.

Airstreamfield

Kdog said:
Airstreamfield said:

Sometime in late winter, we have a jig making party. 3 guys are pouring and 5 or 6 setting hooks in molds and another group desprues. Its not unusual for us to go thru 10,000 hooks during one of these sessions.

Dang, that's a lot! So do you guys just split up the end product after wards? Sounds like I need to find some friends who pour over here.

Kdog

Airstreamfield said:
Kdog said:
Airstreamfield said:

Dang, that's a lot! So do you guys just split up the end product after wards? Sounds like I need to find some friends who pour over here.

We split it pretty much equally. Everyone brings hooks, molds, preferred beverage, usually do pulled pork for lunch then delivery pizza late afternoon..early evening while watching college football or sometimes basketball. Its a lot of BS, good times and usually enough jigs for everyones personal use. Some of the guys cannot pour, some cannot set hooks, some cannot desprue but after the first hour, it pretty gets resolved and everyone contributes. Even our thumbless buddy ... he counts and bags and does a good job at it.

Back