Interesting cactus-style chenille

Shoemoo

I'm a sucker for chenille. Picked this up at Wholesale Sports while visiting my parents over Christmas. They call it Kaktus chenille. Comes in a bunch of different colors and three sizes. I wanted to get some lighter pink and white, but they were all out. The cost was $1.50 for two yards.

2011-12-29170102-1.jpg

It has iridescent fibers mixed with shorter synthetic hairs. The hairs and fibers are a bit curly, so they give the chenille a rounder profile than other cactus chenilles. This is the medium size.

2011-12-29170535-1.jpg

Here it is on a 1/16 ounce minnow head.

2011-12-29174411-1.jpg

Shoemoo

I just wish I could find it online. They don't have it on their web site, and it appears to be a house brand. The camera didn't really capture the iridescence well. It's seriously shiny. Really nice to work with too. Doesn't fall apart as you tie like a lot of other cactus chenilles. There were a ton of colors too. At least 30. They had five different shades of orange and three shades of blue and purple.

BucktailJiger

Is that the same Cactus Chenille Robert and Grandpa Bob sale or is it different ? I got some Cactus from Grandpa Bob's , it is cool stuff . Nice looking jig to !

Jigging15

Looks great. Would be nice to find that online with that many colors to chose from.

Shoemoo

I've never ordered cactus chenille from Robert, but I did order one package from Grandpa Bob's awhile back. He sells Cascade Crest brand. Comparing the pack to the Kaktus chenille, the construction method looks similar, but the tinsel fibers are different. It's also denser (this could be because the fibers are curlier) and comes in a lot more colors than Grandpa Bob's carries.

Fatman

Can you tell us including the bar code number from the white lable and also what's on the back of the card??? I looked at their site and it's not listed.

Shoemoo

Each card has a different bar code and item number. The backs are plain white. There are two variations on the bar code stickers.

2011-12-29202031-1.jpg

Shoemoo

Kaktus is the spelling of cactus in German. It's probably German or Austrian in origin, but I'm not sure if it's that specific company. They had way more colors than that page shows. There was a whole 6 x 6 foot shelf section packed with pegs of nothing but this chenille, plus a few rows of spillover into the next section.

Too bad I won't be back in that area again until September. :-/

Maybe I can get my mom to send me some.

Fatman

Ok Shoe!!!!!!!:beat-up:

After 25 minutes on the phone with Wholesale Sports Contact
Toll Free: (877) 740-1115. Here's what I found - They have a 10 year plan when all their items will be listed on there web site. Strike One!

If you have the item numbers, color listed you can order by phone from a store IF they have it. Some colors are being discontinued.

What he suggests is calling the store where you got it, and order by phone. the colors you had looked really good - so if you want more call the store where you got it and use the numbers on the cards the chenille is wrapped on. You could list the 5 you have here for us?? with the phone number of the store YOU went to.

Item: Kaktus Chenille Medium
Color: Brilliant Blue 8785 (I think that's the number it's a little blurry)

They do not have a color chart that they can send out - Sorry I tried!!!

I then asked him who the company listed was that made it for them -
Icon Angling LLC - haven't found anything for them yet

Shoemoo

Some of the cards have two item numbers. Here is all the information from the barcode sticker, including the UPC. From left to right in the top pic:

Brilliant Blue - WS16070 - 8785 - 821256160702
Claret - WS16064 - 7050 - 821256160641
Orange - WS16126 - 3400 - 821256161266
Chocolate - WS16146 - 4975 - 821256161464
Green Chartreuse (UV) - No WS number - 0275 - 821256163307

The dark pink does not have the color listed on the card, but I think it is called fuchsia. The number is WS16137 and the UPC is 821256161372.

I went to the store in Federal Way, WA. Their contact number is 253-835-4100. They did not have all the colors in all sizes, and some of the colors they did not have in any size. I only knew them from the names on the pegs.

My Google fu has unearthed this link:

http://www.importgenius.com/importers/icon-angling-llc

Fatman

Dude I was really bored at work today LOL. Might check with a couple more folks and see if they can tell me who besides Wholesale sells/carries this stuff - and has a color chart.

Back