Inline Spinner Supplies. I have questions

AndyLane

I've recently had people asking me if I can make small inlines for trout/crappie/bluegill. I want to start telling them yes so I'm going to order me some supplies and learn how to make them. I have some questions that I'm sure y'all can help me with. I guess the main thing I'm unsure of is what wire to buy. Type,Diameter, ect... I assume I need to get the closed eye shafts but would the open eye shafts be better? I'm also thinking about getting a good wire former. Any recommendations? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hookup

I make a few different inlines. Typically bend the wire with a set of round nose pliers, but have been eyeing some of the wire bending tools on the market.

Get most of my supplies from either Janns or Barlows.

For bass, I use heavier wire than for gills or crappie (or trout - I just dont target them much).

I'm a huge fan of the Panther Martin blades. #1 or 2 for gills, crappie, or trout, #4 or 5 for bass.

Fatman

Andy - for straight inlines a boggs or twist tech wire former work well, several of the guys here have them. I have the old Netcraft wire former and it's turned out ALOT of inline spinners, but the eyelet size is larger due to the former itself.

Wire for me I buy in 1/4 lb. coils. When I first started making them back in the 80's all I used was .024 stainless steel wire. but a good size fish smacks it that wire can bend up. I've pretty much only been using .029 ($9.95, 1/4lb coil at Janns netcraft). I also use the wire for making v-spinner frames (Beetle spin).
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/ss-lure-making-wire/311666.aspx

for blades that need a clevis - I've gone to the folded ones. If you use the in-line blades you just put them on. I use glass, plastic and metal beads, I use one between the body and the clevis, and sometimes one above the blade and clevis. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/folded-clevises/320912.aspx

There are brass and nickle bodies like the ones on Mepps that you can buy but due to a trade here on the board I'm using ones made from lead out of a Do-it mold. They powder really well but you have to have a rack that will hold them where the body doesn't touch anything. You can see the size of the 1/16th bodies by looking at the spinners I've posted in this section. The 1/32nd's are about half that size.

If I can help you with anything else let me know - Initial start up costs for making spinners can be expensive.

Back