In The Egg Buisiness

ScottV

I built a chicken coop this past summer and ordered a dozen pullets, young hens, from a hatchery. Four of them started crowing after about three months. Now I'm no chicken expert but I figured something wasn't right there. Well I gave the four roosters away, my wife said we wouldn't be eating them, and now we have eight hens. I went out to check on them yesterday and low and behold, I had three eggs in one of the nest boxes. They are a little over four months old. I guess I'm a PaPaw again! Lol
anusazan.jpg

5yrumyse.jpg

8ybeqeha.jpg

Fatman

Eggs what eggs??? I see some really nice brown feathers and grizzly looking soft feathers and black mottled - you sure wouldn't run out!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL Seriously with the price of eggs fresh is looking really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pup

I like those speckled ones. Have neighbors who raise a few chickens. Pretty cool birds actually as their calls let us know when there are visitors nearby.

And...they're too smart to be attacked by catfish. :D ;)

JUNGLEJIM1

I'd have kept the crowing hens,could have gotten some nice capes and saddles possibly. They can be like pets and are pretty smart for a bird.

Radtexan

Ive always wanted some chickens Scott...tghey kind of frown on them in the city though...I did have an arcadian Rooster in the backyard when i was a kid..He lasted till the neighbors complained enough about the crowing..

ScottV

Hawnjigs said:
Can't beat orange yolk bug fed eggs. Shouldn't there be a crowing hen to fertilize?

Only if you're wanting to hatch some eggs.
These chickens are like pets. They will fly up onto your shoulder and hitch a ride

StumpHunter

Those Rhode Island Reds will lay you a lot of good eggs. Use to have 20 of them and I couldn't give the eggs away fast enough.. I'm really liking that hen house!!

Back