In search of a new vice

moswampy

Have been using this cheap model for several years. It works "ok" but needs constant tending at times. I tie jigs with #8 hooks up to 4/0. Any ideas on a quality non-account wrecking vice with strong jaws
fefd5b72b12a824692b83d297e874549.jpg
32e54f8d7c342185cbfdeae1ea126c15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookup

I started tying with a hook sharpening vice, then went to a $30 chinese junk model. I finally treated myself to an Anvil Apex & luv it.

il_Fly_Tying_Apex_Vice__03715.1456782824.1280.1280.jpg

Pup

You tie at least semi-production, imo, so my recommendation would be a rotary Regal.  Look to new or used off of eBay.

I own a Regal and love the fact that I do not have to adjust its jaws between changes of hook sizes.  It's a great traveling vise too.

Would love to recommend a Griffin.  However, you do fulfill orders from what I read in the past.

duffy

2X on the Apex. I have the Atlas but only because I got a good deal on it and wasn't sure if the Apex rotated or not. I more or less use the rotation just to check all sides and make gluing easier. I sort of prefer the horizontal tying angle but still really like my Atlas. Jaws are strong  and have grooves for larger hooks. Also started with a cheap India one and I think a vice grip welded to a table would have been better.

moswampy

Went with a Renzetti traveler. I did look up everyone's suggestion, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Wirth

For Jigs I recommend a Universal II, regardless of what you choose a vise for jig tying should be parallel to your table. If you are also tying flies go with something adjustable.

For flies I use a Renzetti Presentation 3000

I have many Universal II for sale - pm me with any Q

moswampy

AtticaFish said:
Have you got in the new equipment yet and got to spin a few with it?

Yes I have used it and I don't know why I waited so dang long to upgrade. Immediate improvement on efficiency, easier when I tie double color and no travel of hook from size 6 to as large as 2/0.

Back