In need of a Lead-Free Jig

Got2Bite

Hi guys I'm new to the board but I have been lurking for a few months.

I don't pour jigs but I love painting and tying lead-free hair jigs. But here in Canada, there are only a few suppliers of lead-free jigs and a limited of styles.

I looking to buy 25 unpainted /4 ounce wedge shaped jigheads. Once again it has to be lead-free.

Does anyone pour lead-free?

These are examples of what I am looking for.

0e6ea04f9f0ee702378df7fba78b8b13.jpg
c3c3bca4bb85b3c7c3097d5a6e290ea8.jpg

35d1c711a9e12377166f7ea5416b9861.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

bucktail

I am kind of new around here my self ...look up hawnjigs,his website is what your looking for
he is on here as well ,not much going on this site as of late...not sure why

Got2Bite

Funny you mention hawks jigs. That's where I bought the hook up heads when he first moved to Nebraska. I have to say based on the few back and forth we had, he seems like a pretty good guy.

I did send him an email a few hours ago, hopefully he will reply soon.

jiggerjohn

I have to agree, Keith of Hawn's jig is the BEST in the business for lead free heads. Since beginning dealing with him some years ago, I've never had need to use any other jigheads !! He is a perfectionist,fast delivery, and I've never had a single "bad" hook or jighead,thanks to his meticulous quality control ! He WILL reply soon, but lately has been busy during daylight nailing some truly big trout, and numbers of walleyes!! Look for your reply for him after dark - with Keith and his work ethic -the customer always comes first !

Got2Bite

I heard from Keith this morning. Can't really complain about him exempt he is the reason why I only make lead-free hair jigs.

bucktail

Pewter? Are you able to use a bottom pour pot with it Jay? How much lighter is it when you cast a 1/2oz jig head comparing to lead

Jay Wirth

Yes sorry pewter. If I remember correctly the difference is about 5% lighter than lead and the melting point is not that much more than lead. Originally we tested this when I was working for a business (mid 90s) that made toy soldiers and NYS threatened a lead ban. We found that though pewter was more expensive the cast rate per mold was over 90% (50 - 75 soldiers per spin mold) as opposed to lead which only poured better as the molds heated up. this time (ie payroll) savings made up the difference in material cost.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Pure tin metal is approx 64% lead weight, and antimony even lighter. The amount of copper and bismuth in certain pewter types is too small to significantly affect weight. Typical commercial casting pewters are 92% tin with the remainder mostly antimony.  From experience they are extremely hard metals and removing sprues might be a problem. Here is a brief info vid about Rotometals 3 types.

[video=youtube]

Jay Wirth

Cutting the sprues is not a problem with the jig mold - even with spin casting the toy soldiers the sprue is much thicker and we did OK with standard cutters. Ill fire up my pewter pot and cast a few standard jigs to weigh vs the same in lead

Back