In-Line Spinners

AllenOK

I got started doing in-line spinnerbaits last year. I did it, because I love fishing Mepps spinners. However, I normally fish in some really "snaggy" areas, and at $5 a pop, that can get expensive, quick.

Most of what I do are just size 0 (size 8 treble hook) imitations of a Mepps Aglia. Those are great panfish spinners.

View attachment 6

I'm also working on something big enough I can throw it with my surf rod at a tailrace for Stripers. That's going to be at least 2 oz. The current version weighs in at 3/4 oz., and is "just right" for throwing with my Steelhead rod. Only problem is the wire shaft. It's .030 wire, and managed to bend when I made contact with a rock as I made a cast. I'll need to upgrade to .050 wire.

Attachments

• 2014Size0InLineSpinner.jpg
    2014Size0InLineSpinner.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 93

AllenOK

Yup. The big prototype that I'm working on has a single hook. I plan on tipping the hook with a big plastic swimbait. Hopefully it doesn't decrease my casting distance.

Muskygary

I'm making something similar for walleye. On the wire body I put the blade and a bead body. On the back wire loop I put a split ring with a spro power swivel, then a short piece of line and a VMC spindrift hook which will have a piece of nightcrawler on it. Up the line (about four feet) I add a big swivel and above that the weight to take it to the bottom. Should make a good trolling bait.

Fatman

Nice spinner - agree about the single hook, if you don't like singles check how your spinner is running and cut off the down tine to make it a double.

AllenOK

My spinners all rotate as they are retrieved. As a result, I don't get a "down" tine.

On my big prototype, I plan on getting either some crimp-on swimbait weights (similar to split-shot) to crimp onto the hook just before the bend. This is supposed to act as a keel, and keep the hook for revolving. Of course, I might just buy some weighted swimbait hooks and use those.

Jay Wirth

Finally at 47 I had to get glasses (the big B), its been a few day and I am really don't like tilting my head up and down to read. I had to stare at the photo a few minutes wondering why you used a penny for a spinner blade. Im thinking I should get use to the glasses and wear them before going online......

Fatman

Jay - Got mine 2 yrs ago. I didn't like them at first either but found the biggest problem was the bifocal part was the smaller cup size instead of the large bifocal - it really does make a difference. If you tilt your monitor or laptop screen just right you won't have to tilt up and down so much.

The first time I drove at night with them drove me nuts!!!!!!!LOL

AllenOK

Jay, sorry. I normally mention that something is "for scale" in a photo when I do that.

That said, I do have some copper blades. I did a very nice size 3 in-line spinner with a diamond-patterned copper Colorado blade. It worked great in dim light for various sunfish and LMBs.......

I use +2.50 reading glasses when I tie. I do a LOT of flies. Size 14 and down seem to be the bulk of what I tie, unless I'm doing big stuff for Bass and Stripers.

Back