Idea to think about

Fin and Fur

My customers install/construct fiber cable and networks. He has a bar that he put fiber into hooked to a light that changes colors and the bar sparkles and looks sweet.
I'm wondering what fiber does under water I'm assuming it would take in whatever light is available. Next time I'm at his shop I'll grab a chunk and see what it does.

duffy

When AT&T buried a line across the road here about 20 years ago I was talking to the guy about it and he gave me a 3' chunk in the steel wrap. It only had about five fibers in it but when you shine light on the end it's only the ends that the light comes out of. You can't see any light on the side of the fiber. It'll be interesting to see what the stuff you get ahold of will do.

toadfrog

Watch the thrift store and junk places . you can find those lamps that use optic fiber for the light show . Generally get one for a buck or two .

toadfrog

Ya know the light has to enter the fiber from the end more or less . If you had a rattle collar mounted with a small glow stick and the fiber tied to the hook shank with the ends exposed , might maybe coulda work . Oh God there I go agin .

Fin and Fur

The way a bow sight works is it gathers light as it wraps around sight and is projected and/or more visible at the end where you see a bright dot

Fin and Fur

Well stripped down the fiber it is actually little glass rods in wire insulation, would be like a single strand or way less (didn't get the calipers out) of copper twisted wire. Took it out of insulation it's clear and fairly flexible until kinked then it breaks.
I think bow and gun sights are a type of translucent/colored plastic.
Saving lives and Dodges today with a Ford, was hoping I didn't have to got home and get my Chevy. And that's a huge reel of fiber
a295b985b6889f57fd31ac8ce837b92c.jpg
34cf8aa2a4b8006e0eec447b37e2b957.jpg

a8f9df443422ce1e4a5e783529355bbc.jpg

duffy

That's a pile of $$ on that reel there sonny! Especially if you cut it after it's hooked up!! :D  The stuff they gave me looks more like thread but it's coated in grease. I'll have to see if I can find it again. The light pretty much just goes into and out of the ends. I asked a fellow who works with it how bright the light is and he told be "as bright or brighter than the sun" so you don't want to look at it when it's working.

toadfrog

Fatman said:
Just trying to drive yourself crazy aren't ya Toad!!!!!!LOL  I can see you now in the workshop for hours getting it to work!!!

Oh no leaving that to the young'uns this time . I'm try'n to wien myself from that.

Back