Ice Jigs, Molds, Blades

LedHed

Sponsor
Thnx guys. Swapping out the trebles on the small kastmasters to single hook. The bigger spoons are cabelas getting trebles.
I do the rings with silver solder but was thinking about doing small spoons with flux core solder.
Hays - almost soounds like a butterfly jig.....

ccj - only tips I know (and I am no expert) is to make sure you tin the tip of your soldering iron, clean off all flux, and heat up whatever you are soldering to first - then add solder.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Crippler - Those look good to me! Teardrops and pin-mins are in nearly every panfish ice tackle box i do believe. The 'Rocker' looks cool! A few years back i tried to epoxy some hooks to small blades - didn't work too well. :p

LH - Quite the gizmo you have. Guessing that was not the original intended use of that.... that.... well what is it??? haha!! Whats the other thing in the back left with the silver and blue canisters? One more question, promise it's the last: A soldered butt ring will hold the treble on? Would think that would not be very strong, but i also stink at soldering and most of my attempted electrical fixes fall apart on their own. :dodgy:

papaperch

Russ - solder is stronger than you think. I have never had a hook come loose from a pinmin one of mine or a store bought one.

They have held catfish that would not fit thru a 7 inch hole. Had to unhook pinmin while they were still in water. Smart people would just cut line but el cheapo here always wants his lure back.

Most bad soldering jobs are caused by not enough heat. Some not so secrets. Use large enough pencil iron I like 50 watt.
Keep tip clean and tinned. Have a wet rag to to wipe tip on once in awhile. Hold tip on what you are trying to solder. Do not touch tip to solder let material ( in this case the ice blade ) melt the solder.

I have spent many a night trying to trace a problem on a printed circuit board that proved to be a " cold solder joint ". The one that caused the most trouble was the one that were intermittent.

LedHed

Sponsor
Russ - it's a micro torch to do the rings. I do them with silver solder (borax flux) - higher melting temp - stronger than regular solder.

crappiecripplerjigs

Please excuse my ignorance Papa P but what does it mean to keep the tip "tinned"? I bought an el-cheapo pencil iron at Harbor Freight. I think 100 watt. Somebody (Led, Papa, anyone) should do a tutorial on this subject complete with pictures. I plan on experimenting this evening if it's not too cold in the shop.

LedHed

Sponsor
Papa is going to have to do the tutorial because I've never tried to solder spoons. I have solder on boards and use to make thermocouple tips with the silver solder.

Tinning is when you add some of the solder to the tip of your solder iron and wipe it off on a damp sponge or wet paper towel. It keeps the solder from balling up on the tip when you are soldering. You should wipe your tip to clean off excess flux build up as well.

papaperch

I can do tutorial but have to wait for warmer weather. Wife would have to photograph while I do the actual work. she doesn't function very well under 70 degrees. My little shop in the winter barely reaches 45 with my little heater. Comfy to me but wifey kinda particular.

El cheapo soldering irons are not the direction you want to go . You do not have to spend a fortune to get good results but figure on going north of 30 bucks for a decent pencil iron The less you spend the more unhappy your soldering future.

Before you guys pick on me about spoiling my wife . I know I have messed up. She don't clean my fish, she don't pick worms for me , though she does wait on me hand and foot. I can't think of a good reason to keep her other than her fantastic looks.

So in summation tutorial project on soldering on hold due to spoiled wife.
Creating the " perfect for life partner " on permanent hold due to wife's many faults.

Back