Ice Jigs, Molds, Blades

crappiecripplerjigs

I've been cheating on the Jigcraft forum. I have had a few requests lately for ice jigs. Knowing nothing about the subject, I jumped in head first! Been hanging around with those fellas over at the ice shanty forum. I bought a mold... turns out it is about the size of a silver dollar. I bought the ice blades.... turns out they are super tiny. I bought hooks... turns out they were too big. I bought a pencil type solder iron... that rascal gets hot fast! Anyhow, here's some pics. I like tying jigs better. This is a "rocker" and a "tear". Think I will tie something on the the end.

Attachments

• 100_0547.JPG
    100_0547.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 100_0549.JPG
    100_0549.JPG
    400.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_0545.JPG
    100_0545.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 114

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Cool CCJ! Whats the top of the mold look like? Dont forget about the glow! I just got off the phone with a buddy that makes thousands of ice jigs every year. He was telling me his secret!;)

crappiecripplerjigs

What you see is what you get. One piece mold. The blades go in the matching spaces and the center grooves hold the hook upright so you can solder together. It's not very easy!! If you want to share that secret.... I'm all ears!!!

Jig Man

Cool looking jigs, and RD don't worry about it, I couldn't see anything that small anyway!!! Hehehehe

Fatman

I've seen those base's on ebay a few times and always wondered how they worked!!!!!!! Don't ice fish anymore so don't worry on it.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
DUH moment!!! Ha i knew you were soldering the blades when i was reading but when i saw the little mold i thought LEAD! Neat little mold for holding hooks in place.

crappiecripplerjigs

Thanks guys. I think I will make some to use for bluegill around here. Going to experiment with a crane swivel, more solder, and add a small Indiana spinner blade. Might have some good flutter action. RD... about that secret..........

papaperch

That mold would be handy for soldering. But what electricians call crocidile clips also work. These are heat sinks that are used to channel heat away from temperature sensitive electrical components when soldering. Commonly available at Radio Shack or other electrical components stores.

I place hook and blade together use clip to hold in place. Lightly touch solder iron to blade until solder flows. This will anchor hook to blade. Move "clip " to where solder has flowed on hook and solder the remainder.

crappiecripplerjigs

That is a great idea PP. I think I may have some of those clips. Led- the mold was $15. Ordered it from Reinke Bros. online. They have the blades, hooks, and lots of other things too.

quivira kid

Thanks for posting that info about the mold! I need to check that site out. I got all the stuff to make soldiered spoons a year ago, and have struggled with consistency... This would help so so much!

LedHed

Sponsor
Thnx for the info ccj.

Got a small solder station that has two rotating alligator clips and a magnifying glass. I use it to solder small butt rings.

Hays/ccj - what type of solder do you use?

crappiecripplerjigs

I use rosin core solder and have also used lead wire that comes on spools like thread for weighting flies. I am not very good at soldering. Could use some tips. Would love to see a pic of your solder station setup Led.

papaperch

I like silver solder best but its getting harder and harder to find. When it cools it leaves a very shiny finish. Not too important if going to paint but the ones I leave au natural I like to be shiny. The common thin solder fro radio Shack works ok. Comes coiled in a little plastic tube. Netcraft also sells a good solder for this.

Ledhed take those treble hooks off those kastmasters. Tie a aberdeen hook on a 2 1/2 or 3 inch leader. Glue a 3-D eye or flat eye
on one side. Tip hook with piece of bait or whole minnow. Let me know how California fish like them. If California fish jump on them like Ohio fish you can thank me later.

Back