I need some jigheads

dbeam

After looking closer at some of the smaller 1/64 and 1/40 bluegill ties I went out to the bench to tie a few. I found that I am very lacking in small jigheads since I usually work with 1/16oz. I would like to get 100 each of 1/64 and 1/4 not sure if I would be better off with minnow head or round head, sickle or J hook, etc. So if anyone has the time to spare I would love to get opinions and suggestions including sources for retail purchase.

Second question is at the opposite end of the spectrum I would like to get some 1/16th and 1/8th jigheads with really strong hooks capable of standing up to Sea Trout, Flounder, and Red Drum

Thanks
Darrell

Kdog

Sickle hooks are sharper. They have a slightly wider bite so on smaller jigs you may want to drop down a size smaller than normal. I the smaller sizes there is not a lot of head selection. I have a minnow head in 1/48. shad dart in 1/64 and all others are ball heads. Sources are gonna need to come from someone else but I'm sure other members know who they are.

Your second question is kinda interesting as you are also adding saltwater resistance to the mix. Looking forward to others comments/recommendations on that one.

LedHed

Sponsor
Not sure if Keith (hawnjigs) is still doing his specialty lead free stuff - for the larger sizes - real custom jigs.

Hunter 775 - crazy angler - grousefly, have fuzzy memory this morning - can't think of others right now

I do some swapping for custom pours - no selling or standard jigs...

Lost Pole

As far your reds, we mostly use 1/4 & 3/8 oz. with 1/0 or 2/0 hooks. Flounder aren't an issue with hook size most of the time and try to go smaller depending on all the blah blah that goes with lake fishing.
Have some 1/0 hooks courtesy of LH that I can throw in a mold If'n ya want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbeam

Lost Pole said:
As far your reds, we mostly use 1/4 & 3/8 oz. with 1/0 or 2/0 hooks. Flounder aren't an issue with hook size most of the time and try to go smaller depending on all the blah blah that goes with lake fishing.
Have some 1/0 hooks courtesy of LH that I can throw in a mold If'n ya want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM sent

hookup

fishhunter77 - think thats how you spell it.

Great guy & great service from him recently

slammingjack

Saltwater I use Ec 635 1/8 #1 , 1/4 1/0 , 3/8 2/0. For flatties I use #1 or 1/0 I pour a 3/8 1/0. It's all in what the tide is doing. Even have a 3/4 5/0 bucktail for near shore.

dbeam

Barefoot said:
Are you looking to tie deceiver like flys on the saltwater heads or using them for plastic swim baits?

I was thinking a Deceiver/Closer type profile tied with bunny hair, and some wool minnows with flashabou. marabou is out because of the pinfish.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Darrell

LedHed

Sponsor
Those are very cool heads - looks like a 60* hook. They ain't making a ton of money at $.50 a pop... wonder what hook brand they are using.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I believe Buggs Fishing is run by someone who is a member here...... member name: Hippel It has been a while since he has logged in here, but it is possible that he could reply if you sent him a PM. He does have some unique shaped heads if that is what you are looking for.

Barefoot said:
These Buggs heads are my favorite for the flats. He has some seconds for .50 ea. His bunnys do well and I wish I could find a mold like that.
http://www.buggsfishingstore.com/index.html

dbeam

Thanks Guys, for pointing me in the right direction,

I have some jigheads coming from Lost Pole, some headsup and nail heads coming from LeadFreeJigHeads, and some 1/64 roundheads from fishhunter775. Probably all I will need for a good while. Looking forward to starting some ties.

Darrell

dbeam

I got the nailheads and headsup from fishhunter775, and the 1/64 from LeadFreeJigHeads great jigs extremely quick turn around fair prices, great service. Looking forward to tying some feathers and fur on them soon.

Darrell

Back