I am a jigger thru and thru but have found specific lure designs rule!

SPOONMINNOW

Having done the bass tournament thing for years and used larger lures of all types to catch bass, I have no doubt I could still cast the different types and catch bass - but only bass. Of course, river smallies slammed Mr Twister curl tails in my local smallie river, but so did other lures. Back then, plastics had to have action tails whether a curl tail or a Sassy Shad paddle tail. Same thing for plastic worms - curl tail Mr Twister Worms or nothn. But then Gary Y blew it all away with the wacky rigged Senko. Round tips on both ends of a weighted soft-plastic stick caught bass galore!
It got me think'n: stick vs action tail - hmmmm.... But then again what is a Zara Spook or 3" floating shallow-lip Rapala other than a stick by another name?

Waddle, roll & dart come to mind as the action combo for all stick-type lures - and man has it caught fish! So, having gotten molds for stick-like lures, I experimented using the same retrieve I used for hard stick-like lures having no lip nor action tail to speak of. The action part is the body - period! What body types you might ask? There are only two that define a soft stick: diameter and shape. At the top of the list, I've discovered, is the cone or taper-tail shape stick or better yet - carrot stick.
View attachment 23180 View attachment 23181 View attachment 23183

View attachment 23184

A multi-species lure that fish slam and hold on to !!!! ( not shown are white perch, catfish, and pickerel )
Jig head weight - 1/16 oz, 1/24 oz or 1/32 oz with a #6 hook.
Lure size: 2 3/4" or smaller.

How does the tapered stick compare to this forked fin tail?
View attachment 23186
The thin fin tail quivers in place or on the move. It can also be darted & paused just like the tapered stick though with an action and profile that is slightly different.

As regards stick length: the dart & pause retrieve also applies to Gary Y.'s Kut Tail worm and Softie worm - both 4-6" when rigged on light jig heads.
.View attachment 23185 View attachment 23187
The action is more of a whip-type action that provokes very aggressive strike! Just a stick by another name.
What depths do the above catch fish? 2.5' - 6'. Sunfish especially are the most aggressive attackers and best-fighting fish for their size!
There are other stick shapes that do well but you get the picture.

SPOONMINNOW

IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0277.JPG

Usually 2" is perfect for working weed pockets and over shallow flats. Jig wt. is very important!

Hawnjigs

KISS
That out of the mold pearl 2" stick is to me a perfect shape (and color) and surprising that its not available commercially. For my seasonal larger targets a 3" version would be ideal. Since I'm apparently catching the same fish more than once I do need to alternate with boot tail thumpers to show em something different. Think tho that those two shapes in a few different colors would be all I need for multi species apps. For trout tho will stick with my mink minis. And cut in half Gulp Sinking Minnows which tail ends are almost the same shape for cats.

SPOONMINNOW

That's the nice thing about coming up with and catching fish on many soft plastic shapes and actions - there will always be a huge selection of lures I can play with to catch any fish species I find in the waters I fish (except carp). Over 200 fish in June taken on 15 different lures.

hookup

Do you have a preferred length for your tapered tail stick on your #6 hook jigs?
Dr Keith Jones wrote in Knowing Bass that the perfect length is 4"

But as some have noticed, he did all of his fishing in tanks in the Berkley test facility

Back