Hugh Fish-no success!

CK3

Last year we were fishing perch in 14 ft of water. I was using a 6'
ultralight I built on a Fenwick blank, using 1/32 jig,4lb Trilene XL, when my rod suddenly doubled over. My wife hollered, I got the net!! I told her I was a long way from the net. I was hooked to either a Sturgeon
or huge Cat. After awhile I decided it was a sturgeon (they run up to
125lbs in my lake!) A couple times I had to use the troller to catch up
with it and get line back. I figured I wasn't going to get the fish to the boat so decided to REALLY test my rod, Trilene and knot strength!
I gave that rod and line unimaginable pressure and everything held.
I was pretty happy with that and after an hour and twenty minutes
I finally reached over and broke the line. Sturgeon were out of season
and I had no need to catch one. Sure enjoyed the fight though!!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
I'm interested in a few details:
1. Did the fish feel mouth or foul hooked?
2. What kind of Fennie blank - length, # pieces, rating etc.?
3. What kind of jig hook?

Was this a thrill of a lifetime, or just "another brick in the wall" up your way?

CK3

Hawnjigs said:
I'm interested in a few details:
1. Did the fish feel mouth or foul hooked?
2. What kind of Fennie blank - length, # pieces, rating etc.?
3. What kind of jig hook?

Was this a thrill of a lifetime, or just "another brick in the wall" up your way?

1. The fish did take the minnow in his mouth.
2. the blank was a Fenwick SP721 one piece, rating of 1(always the last number)
3. Jig hook was a Mustad 32756 #6

I came onto the blank at Table Rock Lake in Missouri. They used them to fish trout on Taneycomo.
I wish I could say it was "just another brick in the wall" but it wasn't really the thrill of a lifetime either. I knew what I had hooked and also that I would not get it to the boat so decided to check my equipment out. I've caught Sturgeon before up to 60lbs, but certainly not on a noodle rod!! I've caught Northern up to 15lb, bass to 5 1/2 lbs and catfish to 16 lbs on this same rod with Trilene XL #4lb line. I use a Shimano Solstice 1000 rear drag reel (I have ten of them!) I use this rig a lot for Walleye, smallies, crappies, perch and gills.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Sounds like you've got your UL gear comfortably matched & tuned. Altho I haven't had a chance to exceed 10# or so challenges, thank you for confirming that 4# can indeed be pushed further.

Your blank is vintage glass fairly slow action 6', correct? What advantages/disadvantages would this type of rod have compared to my current preference stiffer & faster tipped IM7?

CK3

Hawnjigs said:
Sounds like you've got your UL gear comfortably matched & tuned. Altho I haven't had a chance to exceed 10# or so challenges, thank you for confirming that 4# can indeed be pushed further.

Your blank is vintage glass fairly slow action 6', correct? What advantages/disadvantages would this type of rod have compared to my current preference stiffer & faster tipped IM7?

Sorry, Hawnjigs I didn't see your post til now!
You're correct about the slow action. I much prefer a slow action rod
when fishing live bait. you don't tear the bait off when casting. I for one am not a big fan of graphite above IM6. Being a rod builder and repairer, I find 90% of my repairs are high end IM7,8,9. They are just too brittle for abuse. If I want sensitivity I'll use braided line such as power pro. I use 10lb, diameter same as 2lb. Also, fish is less likely to
throw the lure when fighting a slow action rod.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Gee, I thought my question might have been dumb!

From your reply, I gather that slow action is advantageous mostly for casting live bait and more give when fighting especially with microfiber line? On the other hand would a slower parabolic action impede casting distance/control of 1/16 & lighter jigs?

I remember breaking several Kunnan tips in normal use when they were innovating 100% graphite construction a long time ago, but IM rated rods seem tuffer nowadays. A grandson managed to close a car door on one, but I remember doing that a lot older than he was!

CK3

Hawnjigs said:
Gee, I thought my question might have been dumb!

From your reply, I gather that slow action is advantageous mostly for casting live bait and more give when fighting especially with microfiber line? On the other hand would a slower parabolic action impede casting distance/control of 1/16 & lighter jigs?

I remember breaking several Kunnan tips in normal use when they were innovating 100% graphite construction a long time ago, but IM rated rods seem tuffer nowadays. A grandson managed to close a car door on one, but I remember doing that a lot older than he was!

I have no problem casting a 1/16 oz jig. A 1/32 is a littler tougher.
Control is not a problem. The graphite today is a littler better but still very brittle in the tip. Car doors don't care what material they eat:mad:

A few years ago I just finished building a very fancy UL for my buddy.
I embroidered his name in it, had embedded crappie in walnut on foregrip,
diamond wrapped GUIDES. He laid it down with the car door open, forgot
and yep, slammed the door on it! I could have cried! I had over 70 hours in that rod!! And he was 63 years old!!!!

Back