How to get dusted dual tone jigs

fishindad

Ok guys... I am a newbie to this. How are you guys getting those dual tone jigs? Someone mentioned dusting? I did some searches on the forum but I cant seem to find anything.

Thanks guys!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
100_5185_e.jpg

Tap, tap, tap......

Use el'cheapo paint brushes. Fluffy hair fiber ones work better for me rather than plastic fiber brushes, but that might be a personal preference thing.

Exactly how depends on what colors you plan to paint. IE: opaque colors vs. candy colors.

In general, you can dip the entire jig in the color that will be used as the belly color of the jig first. Then dip your paint brush in the powder color you want on the back/top side of the jig so the powder sticks into the fibers of the brush. Tap the brush with your finger (back in the jar first) and you will see that it falls off the brush in a dust form. That first tap might release a lot of powder..... you only want a dusting so i like to always tap back into the jar once or twice before i put the jig under it and tap the powder on. You will also want to re-heat the jig head slightly so the 2nd color of powder sticks and doesn't just fall off.

With all that said, it then depends on which direction you hold the head for which side will be painted. Hold it hook eye up and tap from the top and most of the powder will only get on the top side. Some powder can drift or blow around, but usually not much. If your head is hot when you do it, that blowing dust will stick. You can also hold the head on its side and try to only paint the top edge..... this works better for me with heads that have recessed eye sockets.

Keep in mind....... light taps will only let it dust of the brush lightly. Hard taps will knock more powder off the brush bristles at a time and coat the color faster.

Hope this helps, Have Fun!!!

plateboater

Watched the same video and made of couple PM's for people with more knowledge. You have a couple great people on this page already responding to help.

toadfrog

Get yourself an embroidery loop put some mesh in it hold it up against the jig and tap paint . Leaves a nice scale pattern and the loo makes it easier to handle the mesh .

toadfrog

OH bout anything from a pair of panties to old minnow seine . If it has a hole pattern use it . This works especially well on crank baits too . Also for twenty nine dollar you can go to Harbor frieght and get a small air brush abrasive sprayer . Its the bomb for air brushing the second colors .

Back