How to find cheap pewter

flatsrat76

Hey all
I know it's been a long time since I have posted much but I really haven't really been up to much....
well if you look on rotometals pewter is about $19.00 a pound so I will tell you how to find pewter really cheap..
I don't know how it is around you all but we have thrift shops and garage sales like crazzzzzy down here and most of them have modern pewter items from .10 to $4.00 a pound... and sometimes they have whole pewter set for under that...
So its just something to think about if you want to try pouring other metals other then lead :bigfish:
Flatsrat76

Hawnjigs

KISS
How can you tell if its lead free? I've bought some garage sale Thailand pewter, but Google couldn't identify the alloy formulas with the mfg. stamp. I found it a tuff pour, but the jig heads it could were way harder than lead.

Sooo, be careful peddling them as "lead free", you might end up back inside...

flatsrat76

If its modern Pewter 9 times out of 10 it will be lead free.. you can also check the hallmarks
Hawnjigs said:
How can you tell if its lead free? I've bought some garage sale Thailand pewter, but Google couldn't identify the alloy formulas with the mfg. stamp. I found it a tuff pour, but the jig heads it could were way harder than lead.

Sooo, be careful peddling them as "lead free", you might end up back inside...

Hawnjigs

KISS
What defines "modern Pewter"?
Is some hallmarked pewter worth more than metal value?
Have you poured any pewter heads?

I noticed a pewter looter offering poundage lots on eBay - familiar with that?

flatsrat76

Hawnjigs said:
What defines "modern Pewter"?
Is some hallmarked pewter worth more than metal value?
Have you poured any pewter heads?

I noticed a pewter looter offering poundage lots on eBay - familiar with that?

60s 70s and so on pewter is modern...
yes some of the hallmarked stuff is worth more
I have no clue what your talking about ebay :D I would never sell anything for a profit :D:D:D:D

Hawnjigs

KISS
In that case, I'll take any un-dyed bills you have for $.50 on the dollar.

Think someone else then figured how cheap flea market & garage sale pewter was. I haven't checked lately, but he(?) was running several auctions a week for poundage lots. I bid on a few but others were willing to pay more.

Pewter, even mystery "old" lead stuff, is great for improving lead alloys by adding tin content. Foundry tin metal is up to $20 a lb. and rising I think.

flatsrat76

let me sleep on the 50 cent to a buck trade :D
your right its about $20.00 a pound

Hawnjigs said:
In that case, I'll take any un-dyed bills you have for $.50 on the dollar.

Think someone else then figured how cheap flea market & garage sale pewter was. I haven't checked lately, but he(?) was running several auctions a week for poundage lots. I bid on a few but others were willing to pay more.

Pewter, even mystery "old" lead stuff, is great for improving lead alloys by adding tin content. Foundry tin metal is up to $20 a lb. and rising I think.

Hawnjigs

KISS
How about $.60?

In case any are wondering, "modern" pewter standard is generally 92% tin with the remaining 8% antimony or sometimes a bit of copper. Previously, pewter could contain lead and was even used for eating & drinking utensils.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yes, bismuth is possible, but uncommon because antimony is a cheaper and harder alloy metal to strengthen tin. Pewter(modern) could be described as a hardened tin alloy.

Scrap pewter can be difficult to distinguish from aluminum - I once bought some on eBay mislabeled by the seller. Yes, aluminum is lighter but still difficult to distinguish since aluminum finish can be "antiqued" to resemble pewter. Lots of fun trying to melt aluminum... Also, zinc castings can be mistaken for pewter also and a local scrap seller made that mistake. As mentioned in "lead casting" posts, its not difficult to melt zinc into and ruin a lead alloy.

Back