How old do panfish get?

bombora

I seriously think your panfish are really handsome creatures. Love the markings and the shape of all of em. Was wondering how old do the various species get? Does it vary at different locations or climates?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I guess that means........ we don't know? Or at least i don't. In most of the reservoirs and lakes i fish, think they live pretty much till they are big enough to fillet. :)

LedHed

Sponsor
Think it depends in what part of the country the fish are. Believe I read somewhere the Bluegill can go 5 to 8 years for most, some might make it to11.

redear

yeah, I think the gills can get some age on them, don't think the crappies live as long though 3-4 yrs.

bombora

h, interesting. Wanted to compare to some local saltwater species which live in lakes, ponds etc.

papaperch

I don't have an exact answer but. The further north the lake is the longer individual fish will live. The colder water permits a longer life but slower growth rate. Conversely warmer water permits a faster growth rate but shorter life span.

JUNGLEJIM1

I agree with papa, heard some crappie in their extreme northern range live for over 20 years, much lower in their southern range.

bombora

papaperch said:
I don't have an exact answer but. The further north the lake is the longer individual fish will live. The colder water permits a longer life but slower growth rate. Conversely warmer water permits a faster growth rate but shorter life span.

Same here with yellowfin bream and black bream Pappa. Hey Jim in our cooler water saltwater coastal lakes, a three pound bream can be 20 or 30 years old. Our estuary perch apparently get to 35 years in some places. Always blows my mind when I think about it and usually C&R old bream.

Back