How long should the tail be past the hook?

StumpHunter

What is the ''rule of thumb'' y'all use for the amount of material you leave past the hook for the tail on a jig. What are your thoughts on this?

LedHed

Sponsor
My “rule of thumb” is 1 1/2 the barb length of the hook or body length of the jig. I learned to tie flies in order to tie ultra-lite jigs and like the proportions and symmetry of the fly.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
My thoughts on this are evolving.... used to leave them pretty short, but after using alot of rabbit strips that extend the length on the jig (at least) past the hook bend i have been catching crappie and bass with these and not having alot of missed strikes. Bluegill jigs i still keep pretty short, just trying to match some jigs from others on here that i have caught BG on, but my micros are still not that great. :s

flatsrat76

StumpHunter said:
What is the ''rule of thumb'' y'all use for the amount of material you leave past the hook for the tail on a jig. What are your thoughts on this?

I would have to say it would depend on the species of fish you are targeting.
Flatsrat76

Capt_Rodney

Doc Crappie said:
I usually go one length of the shank of the hook, but sometime I go longer depending what the jig and the fish I am trying to single out. But for most as a rule of thumb for me is one shank length of the hook.

+1

StumpHunter

I am trying to learn the right way of tying jigs instead of having to take apart jigs to rework em.
Thanks for the commits, they all help.

LedHed

Sponsor
SH
Lots of advice - all good

If someone is tying something you think will work for you - ask. All here are more than willing to share and help.

The gallery is getting bigger and better - excellent reference. And we are working on the tutorials…

slipbobber

its your own opinion on this.....Myself i go 1 length from the hook tip to the bend....Then sometimes i go till its a inch long..

Back