How do you paint eyes

Youth Fisher

I am just seeing if there is another way of painting on eyes. I use vinyl paint and use an end of a small drill bit. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Kdog

Long before there were stick on eyes, I used drill bits, wooden dowels and a pencil sharpener to make a double ended tool for two colored eyes, Sharpie markers work for some applications.

Depending on jig size, "tulip beads in a bottle" paint makes some interesting eyes

Also, you can try a thin layer of your color on a flat surface then tap the jig one time and turn it over and tap the second side. Do not tap in same spot twice, Depending on paint layer thickness you can make small to large eyes. Plus a little goes a long way.

Jay Wirth

Most typically I use a metal rod: dip in paint, touch craft stick to remove excess, dot to jig head, Once dry I use a crushed sharpie marker for the pupil. The metal rods I use where scavenged axels from toy cars. Small paint brush handles, pen handles, small nail heads, or dowels work well also

JUNGLEJIM1

I used to paint all my eyes with vinyl using different size nails hammered into 1/4" dowel rod. Vinyl would give me a headache if I did large quantities. About five years ago I was at Hobby Lobby and found a medium tip paint marker for $2.99, tried it and they worked very well. They dry fast, plenty of colors and no more headaches.

Jig Man

Paint sticks... But mostly use 3d eyes. Several good sources, but most of mine come from Bog Baits....

Fatman

Gave up painting eyes - use 3D or doll eyes
3D's from LifeFly Outdoors on ebay
Doll eyes from Michaels although they can be purchased at any crafts store

brewdog123

I been painting eye's with paint markers and the eye's still rub right off. after days of drying a little minor handling and they smear.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
brewdog123 - Try top coating the marker eyes with a thin coat of clear nail polish. Should help if you can get a thin layer down without rubbing off or smearing the eyes. Paint it on quick and thin. Also..... welcome to the site!

plateboater

Grainger for paint sticks used for marking on metal. But 3D eyes are they way to go.

Pup

I use acrylic paints applied by nails and/or pin heads. Then, usually, I coat the entire jig head with epoxy. The epoxy can be clear or amber. Sometimes, I will use a gloss glaze on crappie jigs as the topcoat.

Back