How do you organize your material?

dsiemssen

I know this forum is more towards the hair tying jigs.... but how do yall organize your material? I have my silicone tabs in tackle boxes(atleast 8 of them) Is there something better on the market that you could buy to organize them any better?

CrappieHappy

I use plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store to store bags of feathers, chenille's, etc. I also have some clips that i hang flash, etc.

dsiemssen

That's what I'm trying to get away from is having boxes of stuff... But that is a good idea.

toadfrog

Thanks to having pretty good area to work I have the walls lined with peg board . Most of the tying stuff ,blades , wire and things like that are hung in resealable bags where I can see it . I hate drawers , cabinets and shelves and boxes .

hookup

CrappieHappy said:
I use plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store

Ditto

Tools are kept in a dedicated shelf in a standup tool box

CrappieHappy

I have seen binders at Cabelas/ BPS that hold packs of plastics etc. Maybe those could be an option . Other than pegboard, etc. i cant think of anything else at the moment.

papaperch

I have a very efficient storage system. Its it either on the floor . on my tying desk , stuffed into plastic drawers or hanging on wall.

You and I have to guess which huge pile its buried in. I have bought stuff new and went to store it and found it was already in stock and very amply.

I pity the fool that has to sort this stuff when I bite the big one.

Pup

I like display cases. Trophy cases are good, but jewelry cases are great. My favorite was a metal and glass jewelry case where the contents could be viewed from all directions. Materials were laid out on the shelf and the bottom of the case. Great for viewing the contents from a variety of different angles.

Currently, I have a glass front trophy case that allows me to view all of my paints and other stored items "head on". Works much better for me than a bookcase, bin, or chest. I do store some Plano boxes inside of it. Overall, it's very convenient.

Shoemoo

I have a few of those racks of bins on wheels I bought at the local big-box store on clearance. They work pretty well and I can move them around as needed.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I got some of those types of bins from my Napa rep. He just gave them to me. These came stocked with different size bulbs. Said he Got the bulbs cheaper that way instead of buying individual sizes.

AndyLane

dsiemssen said:
has anyone tried using this for a storage cabinet? either on the floor or on the desk? I talked to someone at my work and this is what they recommended.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/085529/085529400456lg.jpg

I tried to attach the imagine but IDK if it will work or not. I'm new to the whole forum thing so I added the link as well.

It is a slightly different formation but I have one of those parts bins set ups on my desk. I really like it and I plan on getting one or two more. I also have a couple small wooden chests with small drawers that I keep my rooster capes and other things in. Everything else is stored in clear shoe boxes and small plastic pencil boxes. You can get them cheap at D-Store and they stack nicely. Want to eventually hand some Peg Board in my tying room too to hang things from.

chill49

I got several of those bins for a 1.00 at a flea market then I made a 2x4 frame mounted on wheels
Then made 3 frames to mount bins back to back on mounted them in the 2x4 frame on swivels just wide enough for bins to swivel this doesn't take up much space and you can roll it around.
I have all my skirt tabs and blades and still have room to add stuff
have a lot of shoe boxes behind my tying desk that I have no idea whats in um but i know it's stuff I need

Jighead76

CrappieHappy said:
I have seen binders at Cabelas/ BPS that hold packs of plastics etc. Maybe those could be an option . Other than pegboard, etc. i cant think of anything else at the moment.

I like the binder idea. Got me thinking. What about a 4" school binder with baseball card holders for chinelle, 3D eyes, angel hair. And the larger plastic ones used for paper for feathers.

Back