How do you make a homemade pyramid sinker mold?

redman

Common Household Material that is reuseable. MMMMMM good question one that I will have to ponder for a day or two. Off the top of my head I don't know. You present a good problem, one worth thinking about.

Redman

Shoemoo

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy was making lead ingots using a block of wood with big holes drilled in it. That would probably work. Drill a pilot hole with a bit, then carve a pyramid shape. Add the rings by running pieces of wire through through them and resting the wire on top of the wood. Lift the sinkers out of the mold using the wires.

toadfrog

I have made hundreds of sinkers using plaster of paris molds commonly refered to as POP molds . There are many tutorials on the web about them . I even use ceramic cups to heat my plastic in .

LedHed

Sponsor
mla - if you are going to sell your weights you might want to buy the mold for them. How heavy are you making the weights.

The only thing with POP molds is that you have to make sure they are dry.

DrCrappie

I'm new on this forum, but I've made some decent molds out of Bondo! Take a soda can and cut the bottom off, deep enough for the sinker you want to duplicate. Coat the desired sinker with a touch of WD-40, or Vaseline...just a little...wipe it off so there is just a tiny amount on there. Fill the soda can with the prepared bondo (mixed with the hardener). Let it set a little bit, but not too long. If you mixed a lot of hardener in it, it will set very quickly. Put the coated sinker into the bondo and hold it in place until the bondo sets enough to hold it's shape (normally just a couple of minutes). When it will hold it's shape with the sinker removed, remove the sinker and allow the bondo to completely cure...depending on how thick, but overnight would be best. Then, either purchase some of the little brass eyelets or make some with copper wire, pour your lead into your new mold, and with a pair of needle nose pliers, hold the eyelet into the lead for a few seconds until the lead cools and hardens then pull the sinker out of the mold...and VIOLA...home made pyramid sinkers! You can make several molds this way, of varying weights.
Hope this helps! :D

Back