Hooks for Vibrating Blade Baits ie Silver Buddy

Kdog

I've been messing with Blade baits for a long time and have a quandry.  Would love some input on this one.

Although I prefer using the Mustad 7790 open shank treble hook,  or VMC 9607BZ.  I occasionally get ticked off and use split rings and a more conventional treble or a short shank treble to reduce fowling.  

I know we have a few here that make and use blade baits. Please weigh in with pros and cons about the various methods.  I make my lures just so I dont whine about loosing them.  They often get snagged on rocks logs trees etc and rather than spending countless hours unsnagging, I break off and move on.  I just bought an ultra minnow mold because come november and december i'm thinking those 1oz, 1 1/4oz and 1 1/2 oz make be just the ticket during high water and increased water flow.  Before I finish a couple hundred would really love some biased input on the best hook system for blade baits

duffy

I’m by no means a eggspurt on blade baits but have you looked at the short shank triple grip mustads?  The points are curved towards the shank a bit more supposedly making them hold better but less snaggy. I tried some on some rapalas and they didn’t seem to foul quite as bad but didn’t fish it enough to catch anything. You would have to use split rings but I don’t see that as a bad thing just the PITA putting them on. Always thought extra free swinging is better anyway. Just my two cents.

Kdog

i use that hook a lot, split rings are a pita for sure, but I have a small vise that has really helped with that chore. a lot of fouling with rapalas was solved when I went with a fluor leader and a small barrel swivel between leader and main line

hookup

Tip I read on another board was to use two snap swivels for a better hook set and kirb the treble

papaperch

To reduce fouling on all blade baits. I use a short piece of stainless steel wire. Three to five inches will do. Make closed loop at both ends. Install duo lock clip on one end. That is where you will put the blade bait on. Wire does not scare them off. When sitting in a group of jiggers I catch as much if not more. Usually more because I am not fouling.

I can not take credit for this idea. Old guys showed me when I was a tad. I was smart enough to listen to them. If you need pic can post one.

Back