hooks for 471015 mold question

blt

I am looking at getting this no collar jig mold, but want to use the sickle hooks. Is the #4 sickle going to be the same as a #4 round bend the mold calls for, or do I need a different # in the sickle.

Fatman

They'll work fine as they're both 90 degree bend hooks. I sub sickles in all of my molds that call for regular round bends.

Only problem with the sickles is the eyelet to bend isn't always the same, some are longer than others. I'll dry fit the hooks to get the ones that fit no problem which speeds up my pouring.

The other option is to make the eyelet slots more oval which will take care of the long eyelet shanks - be very CAREFUL if you do this!!!! You don't want to nick the back edge by the by the ball shape - if you do lead will flow into the eyelet cavity and it can be a PITA to trim it off.

I sent Do-IT an email asking if they could do this to all their molds but never got a reply.

blt

Fatman said:
They'll work fine as they're both 90 degree bend hooks. I sub sickles in all of my molds that call for regular round bends.

Only problem with the sickles is the eyelet to bend isn't always the same, some are longer than others. I'll dry fit the hooks to get the ones that fit no problem which speeds up my pouring.

The other option is to make the eyelet slots more oval which will take care of the long eyelet shanks - be very CAREFUL if you do this!!!! You don't want to nick the back edge by the by the ball shape - if you do lead will flow into the eyelet cavity and it can be a PITA to trim it off.

I sent Do-IT an email asking if they could do this to all their molds but never got a reply.

So the same number sickle would be used in the mold as a round bend? Just making sure the numbers are a direct swap before I buy them.

Fatman

I assume your talking about the JNR-6-A and barlows model number 471015?? Thought about it after I posted and ran the number you listed and it brought up that mold at Barlows. If it's that one or any of the others you're good to go. If you're going to be getting down to the really small sizes make sure you have some good pure lead - I can pour down to a 1/32 with a mix of 2 parts hard to 1 part pure. Smaller than that stick to the pure.

As I said the eyelet shank length isn't always standard on all the hooks in the batch - which is something that's been talked about before here on the board. So again that leaves you with the option of dry fitting them or moding the eyelet hole. Just be CAREFUL if you do it. I have a pic of what I mean about the eyelet to shank lenght and I'll post it when I get home. I found a few sickles in a bag and I'll pull a few and take a pic of them.

Fatman

Blt - this is what I meant by different lengths and the second shows it in the actual hooks
sicklehookchange.jpg

100_4216.jpg

blt

Yea, I banged that one up by listing Barlows number lol. This is going to be one of 2 freshwater molds I will use. All the rest are saltwater. I have a banana jig mold that will see some use in fresh water though. I have 29 molds now, far from what others here have lol. A lot of saltwater sinker molds I have almost no use for.

Fatman

I have the molds for what I use in my fishing, and I've sold off or traded all the others. I had looked at the body mold for spinner bodies but it ended up easier and cheaper to trade for them!!!!!!!! The only mold that I'm seriously thinking about right now is the ballhead mold for steelhead. My brother back home and some of the guys here at work travel to fish for them so it might be worth it to get it.

When Salty gets his fishing warehouse unloaded at his new house and gets back on you should check to see if he needs anything you have, and you could also check with Toadfrog he's been doing a lot of salt water stuff.

smalljaw

Blt, what Fatman explained and showed you is why I won't buy sickle hooks, Zeiners, Capt. hooks have both told me they will no longer take returns on them and if you order say 250 of them, you will get at leat 25 to 40 bad ones, most will be like the ones Fatman showed and they aren't that bad depending on the mold, certain molds the length on the eye leg has to be close. I will say that on the smaller sizes I liked the sickle hooks and I should be getting some in the next week or so from a friend but I will never pay for them again as you never know what you're going to get as they have very little if any quality control.

JUNGLEJIM1

smalljaw, I've been buying sickles for 6-7 years now and have never had a batch like you had. I've probably bought close to 100,000 sickles and at the most have had maybe 15 bad one's in a 1000 ct. box. I have enough molds that if a leg is too long or short in one they will fit in another. I have 5000 more sickles coming any day now. For the price and sharpness in my opinion you can't beat them for panfish and I buy Gami's and Owner's as well. For larger gamefish I prefer the Gami's, Owner's or Mustads. Most 1000 count boxes of sickles have extra hooks. I had a 1000 count box of #12 sickles that had over 1150 hooks in it. Never got one extra hook in a pack from Owner or Gamakatsu. Where they are made might have something to do with their QC. Some are from China,others from Korea or who knows where else. I was at a show a couple weekends ago and in the last few years I've seen a huge increase in the last few years. My friend sold every sickle he poured on the first day of the show and could have sold thousands more if he would have had them.

Fatman

For the new guys I'm not trying to turn anyone off from using the sickles just pointing out that's one of the things you'll run into.

As I said I always dry fit the hooks while I sit watching TV and then when I pour I don't get slowed down. The hooks with the longer length as Jungle said usually fit into another mold if you have like some of us do a few!!! I have my bags marked with which molds each bag will fit and it works good for me. I really need to just take the bite and try enlarging the eyelet hole and it would most likely become a non issue. AND - if Do-It would just do this in the manufacture of the molds that would be great!!!!!!! I've sent them emails on it but only reply I've ever received is that they'll send it to their design shop.

SJ - I've gone through 2 box's of a 1000 and only had about 40 total that were really bad i.e. no eyelet, no barb etc. While Capt Hooks won't take them back I have no problem saving them up and sending them back to Matzuo. As Jungle said theirs 2 places they come from, with the ones that I had the Korea ones were better than the Chinese ones.

Hawnjigs

KISS
With no collar ballheads, it doesn't matter if the hook shank exits the head cavity at an angle due to short/long eye legs, as long as the mold closes properly.

Here's a rather extreme example with a modified 1/16 mold showing Ultra Point 32833 #2 and #8.

View attachment 6

Attachments

• 1.16mod.JPG
    1.16mod.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 18

Fatman

Thanks Hawn, you described it better than I did!! Wasn't even thinking about the small hooks and should have been after getting those #10's and casting them in a 1/32nd cavity.

Back