hooks and spit rings for jigging spoons

jigaglow

I am wanting to order two different sizes of ice jigging spoons. I have no idea what to order for hooks and split ring sizes. spoons are 3/4 inch long and 1/16 ounce and the other is 1 1/8 long and 1/20 oz..thanks guys

plateboater

0 is the size split rings I say........hooks pending on fish you are after. Trebles for gills #8/ #10. Crappies trebles can go a little larger no issues and I would dress the trebles if you are bored!

jigaglow

plateboater said:
0 is the size split rings I say........hooks pending on fish you are after. Trebles for gills #8/ #10. Crappies trebles can go a little larger no issues and I would dress the trebles if you are bored!
crappies and gills mainly. number10 would be ok ? I don't tie at all but I considered putting a bead on the hook

LedHed

Sponsor
There are several varieties of big eye hooks that you can use also. Eliminates a joining split ring.

Eagle Claw 210 (open eye)
Matzuo 1500 12 (smallest is a #6) sickle
VMC 9171 Siawash (open eye)
Gamakatsu 10006 (open eye) really like this one
Mustad 3366A (nice light wire) have a gold for soldering

Last year I picked up a huge lot of (no longer made) Mustad large eye & open eye hooks. Planning on breaking it down in smaller lots to sell or trade. Most are bronze and some blue or tinned.

Kdog

For trebles I'd look for Mustad 7790-x split treble and no need for snap rings. They are made as small as size 12 but good luck finding any. I bought a bunch or 6's, 8's and 10's last summer on Ebay. Not an overly popular hook but IMO for blades is the best choice for a treble hook.

Mustad shows them as small as size 16 http://www.mustad.no/products/makers_choice/double/mc_7790_b.htm

VMC make a similar hooks but I've not tried them ---- yet. VMC 9608BZ

jigaglow

thank you guys for your help. on both of those hooks ,will I need to pinch the eye shut on hook and on the open shank do I push it back down ? I assume I will have to but I just have never used either,,thanks again

Kdog

jigaglow said:
thank you guys for your help. on both of those hooks ,will I need to pinch the eye shut on hook and on the open shank do I push it back down ? I assume I will have to but I just have never used either,,thanks again

No, the hooks I mentioned slip on and with practice quite easily. Since most of mine are used on blade baits, I've gotten very good. First couple times its a bit challenging and be careful or you may break some skin. But I can easily put hooks on 100 blade baits (Vibrating blade lure) in less than 30 minutes.

Back