Hook preference

Jungleboy

I am looking to order some hooks and While I would love to support a supplier on My own side of the border they sure don't make it easy. To order 100 Mustad aberdeen style 1/0 hooks for example is aprox. $6.00 +/- from Your side of the Border . From here it is $23 for the same thing + the shipping and taxes of course. Guess where I am ordering from? I will never understand why .

Kdog

I like sharp hooks and Matzuo Sickles are great, Have found that Eagle Claw are a very reliable hook with excellent quaility control on dimensions which is my only beef with the matzuos.

Jungleboy

Well I will order up some Matzuo Sickles and try em out . I am a complete green horn so always looking for advice . We won't see open water around here till near the end of April at least so I have some time to kill . I may even have to break down and go drill a hole in the ice. I want to try some of these out and see if they work.:)

StumpHunter

I have been using sickle hooks for four years and still love them. The hook up on fish are unreal and most will be in the top of the mouth.

Kdog

Note: many molds will need a bit of tweeking as the hook clearance is not quite right for point of the sickle hook.

hookup

Depends on the fish.

For small mouth, as long as its thin diameter, sharp & doesn't rust, I'm happy. Sickles are cheap, but prefer the Trokar or Gammies. Trokars are expensive so I'll not be buying those again unless they are on sale.

Hawnjigs

KISS
#8 & #6 vintage light wire Sickles and every size #8 thru 2/0 Mustad 32833 heavy wire. #10, #8, & #6 VMC 9147 are quality sharp & strong light wire hooks also.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I know a lot of people love them, but i still have mixed results with sickles. Crappie fishing, they seem to work just fine and found some days they seem to hold fish better than my partner fishing round bends next to me. The first season i tried fishing sickles for smallmouth, i had enough fish spit the hook while jumping that i stick with round bends for them now. Maybe i didn't give them a fair shake since it put a bad taste in my mouth.

If only had one choice, 32833 would be it hands down.

Jungleboy

Well I just ordered 500 1/0 Sickles through ebay for $25 and free shipping . Lure parts online was $6 for a 100 plus $30 shipping!

Back