Hook Mod

Sac-Lait-Pat

I had a little time on my hands while cleaning up Garage i found some size 2 Eagle Claw 570 hooks and went to work.

Torch Them:
100_0925.jpg

Modified hooks:
100_0927.jpg

Pour and Paint:
100_0928.jpg

Tied and tried:
100_0932.jpg
100_0933.jpg
DaddyLonglegs want a lap dance:
100_0936.jpg

JUNGLEJIM1

It's actually a praying mantis who looks like he's about to eat your jig. If you would have moved the jig it would probably have attacked it. Nice looking jigs although reheating and bending them again may weaken the hook causing it to break at a bad time,although where you did the bending looks protected by the lead.

toadfrog

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
It's actually a praying mantis who looks like he's about to eat your jig. If you would have moved the jig it would probably have attacked it. Nice looking jigs although reheating and bending them again may weaken the hook causing it to break at a bad time,although where you did the bending looks protected by the lead.
When you reheat a hook drop it into some motor oil to cool. It retempers the hook to a good tensil strength.

crappiecripplerjigs

That is a great looking jig. I like the stubby profile. Toad if I didn't know better, I'd think you worked with me as a metallurgist in our oil tempering department! Didn't know others were aware of tensile and oil tempering of wire. That's cool.

LedHed

Sponsor
SLP
Do you heat your motor oil?
Will the hook eyes rust?
What are you using to heat the hooks?

Great idea and impressive jigs.
Thnx

Fatman

I know you're supposed to use a short shank hook (live bait jig) but instead of all that work why not just use a smaller hook???

That praying mantis wanted that jig!!!!!!!!!! That is a great photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great looking base color - what is it or is it a custom??? and the paint job with it and the sparkling purple is great!!!!!! I would love to try that with the top color Ruby Red!!!!!!

Back